Job history

effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
I've been with my current employer for almost 5 years and this is my 1st IT job. I am planning to apply to numerous large IT organizations and was wanting to know everyone's opinion on listing non relevant job history. I've had 4 jobs from the time I was 16 until ~21. My resume only includes my current employer and various roles.

What's everyone's opinion, add only the relevant job experience or provide a thorough list?

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think its standard to list at least 7 years? I know when I was starting out I kept my retail job on there so long I forgot until somebody told me that I should get rid of it lol.
  • LetterLetter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say if the skills you learned at the other positions could be viewed as valuable for the job you are applying for, list it. For example, if you worked in a role dealing with stressful situations or a position that was primarily customer-facing, you may consider listing those.

Otherwise, I'd say you are good just listing the one job.

Unncessary fluff or useless past experience tends to make me quit reading a resume.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Yea I wasn't planning on adding anything to my resume because it would make it larger than 1 page and I don't think my experience justifies a 2 page resume yet.

This was for a companies online application. I think I am going to leave them off...I've had several fast food, houseboat manufacturing plant, retail management, to my current which is the only one with relevant experience for positions I'm looking for (although the retail management had some value with opening/closing a store, marketing, balancing drawers and paperwork)
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'd suggest putting them on, at least the ones that lasted for a while.

Without them it looks like this is your first job and you did nothing from 16-21. While they may not have provided much relevant experience, they definitely speak towards your motivation and responsibility. I'd put them on but not really go into job responsibilities unless specifically relevant.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You can also put them on just to show continued employment, you don't have to list anything other than company, dates you worked there, and title. Only go to the trouble of listing experience at a position if it is relevant.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    You can also put them on just to show continued employment, you don't have to list anything other than company, dates you worked there, and title. Only go to the trouble of listing experience at a position if it is relevant.
    Agreed 100%. If you really want to include the old jobs, keep it very short. Don't waste precious resume space for stuff that isn't relevant.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV