Passed today. Sec+

KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed with 880.

Materials were Darril's book and android practice app. Felt extremely confident going in, nervous during, and relieved after.

Best advice I can give for exam is read the ENTIRE question. Saw at least 3 where one word of the question changed what answer was.

Next up is CCNA unless I get a job soon that requires me to get a microsoft one.

Comments

• whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and good luck on the CCNA
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the pass. Excellent score. :)

How long did you study for the Security+?
  • KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    about 20 days, an hour a day, took a few off. Had a lot of trouble focusing for this one. Life kept getting in the way :)
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Kragster wrote: »
    about 20 days, an hour a day, took a few off. Had a lot of trouble focusing for this one. Life kept getting in the way :)

Not bad at all. I'm in the same boat right now with my Sec+ studies, we're in the process of relocating.

Do you plan on doing the CCENT/CCNA path or just taking the single CCNA test?
    Mrkali wrote: »
    Not bad at all. I'm in the same boat right now with my Sec+ studies, we're in the process of relocating.

Do you plan on doing the CCENT/CCNA path or just taking the single CCNA test?

I think one test. I have some experience maintaining cisco switches and routers over the last three years, and also fairly comfortable with subnetting and ipv6. Still tons to learn, haven't messed with ospf or eigrp much, and haven't touched frame relay at all, along with a couple other objectives. And I also have to train myself to not use shortcuts, so I plan on a lot of sim/lab time working through commands to retrain myself for the test. Unfortunately my test lab is in storage as I'm semi-homeless while looking for new job. Don't want a lease so I can move wherever I need to for the right job so I'm bouncing between family and friends houses. Hard to lug around 10U worth of equipment :)
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Kragster... hang tough brother.. I'm basically on the same boat, so I can relate to your situation. Congrats on your pass!
  • Jake.Jake. Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kragster wrote: »
    Passed with 880.

Materials were Darril's book and android practice app. Felt extremely confident going in, nervous during, and relieved after.

Best advice I can give for exam is read the ENTIRE question. Saw at least 3 where one word of the question changed what answer was.

Next up is CCNA unless I get a job soon that requires me to get a microsoft one.

Did you possibly take the actual 100 question practice test from the Comptia Security+ website? Just curious if the question structure was similar at all to the real "actual" questions on the exam. Those questions seemed rather long when you only have a minute per question.
  • flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been at a crossroads since passing my CCENT and CompTIA Security+ certs this year. The dilemma is tha I've devoted a lot of time to learn Cisco and only need to take the Icnd2 test and then take CCNA Security. I just want to know if there is a legitimate market Cisco Security or Neutral Vendor type skills. Neutral vendor's such as Comptia, ISC2 and GIAC, CEH.
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)
    Personally I think Network+ and Security+ have a big upside since they're on the DoD list of certs. If you're not familiar check out IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs as well as the hire level giac, and isc2 ones.

It's not just for jobs with government but covers a wide range of companies that contract to the government as well.

To answer your question about market for certs, it's just my opinion but I think any recognized certs that are in the area that you are looking for a job in will help on the resume.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Completing this in 20 days is an excellent achievement. Glad the book and Android app helped.