iLearn Official EC-Council Course Review (CEHv7)

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
So I just finished taking the iLearn official CEHv7 course from EC-Council. I should be getting my voucher in the next couple days, and plan to schedule my test in a couple weeks after some final prep. The cheapest version of the iLearn course is $1599 which is no small investment, so I thought some people might be able to benefit from my thoughts on the course:

Course videos - In my opinion, this was the highlight of the entire course. The videos, which transition back and forth between slides and presenter, are some of the best IT training videos that I have EVER seen. They were easy to understand, and the presenter was extremely enthusiastic and had a way of keeping me interested throughout the entire course.

Courseware - The only supplemental material that you are provided for the course is the slides (which were all used in the lecture videos) and the lab guide. Also, these aren't for you to keep either. They are in a PDF format that is locked down in such a way, that the only way you can open them (even if you save them locally) is by authenticating back to an EC Council Server. Once 1 year has passed, you will be unable to access them. Absolutely NO SUPPLEMENTAL STUDY MATERIALS OR PRACTICE TESTS are included.

iLabs - These I was not impressed with. The interface used to access the virtual environment is TERRIBLE, and hardly ever works. The actual lab environment includes 5 virtual machines. These include Windows Server 03 (2 vms), Windows Server 08 (1), Windows 7 Pro (1), and Backtrack 4 (1). The virtual environment is something that could easily be re-created with just the cost of a subscription to Microsoft TechNet ($299), and the use of Virtual Box (free) and a copy of Backtrack (free). And this is actually what I ended up doing, so I wouldn't have to deal with their disfunctional interface. And honestly, the labs are not very comprehensive. Most of them just showing the most very basic functions of different open source tools. I learned more from just playing around with them myself. In truth, the labs were the reason I purchased this package and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED.

CEH Toolkit (An extra that I purchased for $99) - This mostly just included open source tools that you can download off the web. One thing that I did like was that it DOES INCLUDE A LOT OF ACTUAL VIRUSES AND TROJANS (which was surprising to me). But most of them are very dated, and only work on unpatched older systems (Server 03, Win XP, or older). Most will not even work on UNPATCHED versions of Server 08 or Windows 7. Still, they were fun to play around with in the VMs.

Final Thoughts - The only part of this course that was really exceptional, was the video lectures. And though these were REALLY good, they weren't $1700 good. My recommendation. Save your money and opt for self study. I would recommend using the Sybex study guide, which is what I am using for last minute prep. **Note: I don't think Sybex has released a CEHv7 guide (I have the v6 guide), but the biggest difference is that v7 does not include the Legal portion so just ignore that part** Also, set up a VM lab and just play around with the different tools described in the Sybex study guide. You don't have to be an expert with any of these tools...you just need to know their basic purpose and functions.

With anyone who is considering taking, I hope this helps...and good luck with whatever study route you choose. And wish me luck too!!!

Comments

• bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Excellent review to the course material. I'm about half way through it myself. Worth noting, is that the videos require flash and a 1024x764 display. I was hoping I could access the videos through my mobile device that has a 1024x600 display, but no dice. Also, the presenter sounds like he has been a life long smoker... lots of colorful slides, however, and the content overall has been pretty good. I agree that the virtual labs are cumbersome to navigate through. Although it is nice that pretty much every tool that you can imagine is available to install on the virtual machines, none of the tools are properly registered, so some of them are limited in their functionality, and others will actually cease working after their trial demo period. Unfortunately, due to everything being locked down, there is absolutely no re-sale value- no physical material to speak of. If you're spending your own money, go with a book... If your company is paying- go for it.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Thanks bryguy. And I don't think he's a smoker. That's just his intimidating hacker voice, lol. If you've gone through all the official videos, the test will be a breeze. Good luck dude.
    Oh, one perk that I did forget to mention, is that EC-Council didn't have the foresight to seperate the CEH and CHFI labs. So if you can finish CEH in a short period of time (took me a month), you have the remaining time that you can go through the CHFI labs. So if you take either official iLearn course, you get access to the lab manuals and tools for both. I'm going to try and take the CHFI exam after going through each of these labs.
  • shaky120shaky120 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thx for your thoughts, i was looking to book the chfi v4 through ec-council next week or so but after finding out the course retires in august i thought i would wait for the new version first, i was looking at the ceh and got quoted the $1599 but alot of the questions i asked about what i could download they didnt answer.
    the one thing im still unsure about is i know u need a voucher number to sit the exam, how did yous get the voucher code to do the chfi after doing your ceh, can you use the same code or do u have to buy the courseware for the chfi before u get the code to sit that one.
    any advice would be great ;)
    shaky120 wrote: »
    i asked about what i could download they didnt answer

All of the tools in the class are open source (or at least have trial versions) that can be downloaded for free from vendor websites. As far as course content though, you can't download anything with the standard $1599 course. All of the PDFs (lab guides and informational slides are all locked down. You can't print them, and in order to access them, you have to authenticate online within 30 days of access. So after the coiurse is over, you won't have anything unless you decided to purchase the material separate, or unless you want to printscreen everything.
    shaky120 wrote: »
    how did yous get the voucher code to do the chfi after doing your ceh, can you use the same code

No, you can't use the same code. But I just emailed and asked them for authorization to sit the exams (ECSA and CHFI) and they just gave me an authorization code for free. Not sure if this is standard practice though.
  • itguy7itguy7 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually purchased this product as well. Not trying to hijack this thread but wanted to provide my own input. I don't qualify for self-study as I'm in the beginning of my career. I don't have the 2 years of security-related experience. Anyways...

I just finished watching all the videos and am left wondering..what now? I really couldn't stand the instructor Eric Reed's voice. The dude needs to take a few days off of talking all day so he can get his voice back. It's so hard to listen to. He's very genuine and likable though aside from that. The content is good but I think he goes TOO fast over some slides where I always felt I had to pause (maybe that was his intentions?). I also felt he wasted time reading verbatim from the slides. I was hoping for more information than what's on the slides, I know how to read. I don't need someone to read verbatim off the slides. He didn't always do this, but most of the time. A little annoying too when he reads the names of all the tools...I was like really? What's the point of that? I wish he just said: "And here are the tools for footprinting and recon." DONE. Move on please!

I really don't know if I'm prepared or not for the exam. I wish there were some real-world practice exams that imitate the test so I could get a sense of how ready I am. I've installed backtrack, I've played with it. I've cracked WEP and done MITM. I've done most things he describes in the videos but I'm wondering..."what do i memorize?" function switches? Protocols? I want to know exactly what they're going to ask in the exam and I felt this package didn't provide me with that. Should I get more experience with shell commands? Linux commands? He felt almost 100% win32 oriented. No linux was discussed; or it's commands. Should I go now and purchase AirPcap so I can use Cain on windows for wireless? SO MANY QUESTIONS!! Maybe I'm just used to the way CompTIA does it. Oh well.... All in all I'm just glad I obtain the voucher now and can purchase maybe a book or two and hopefully that will prepare me more fully - If I'm not already.

EDIT: Oh and also, the 10 question exams after each module were complete JUNK! The questions are worded so horribly I'm scared they're going to be like that on the exam. They always fooled me and couldn't tell what it was asking. I really hope Eric Reed put those together on the fly. They are poorly written and just made me angry when I saw "FAILED" instead of pass even though I knew all the concepts.
    itguy7 wrote: »
    I really don't know if I'm prepared or not for the exam.

I felt the same way. Truth is, you're probably ready to take it. It was much easier that I expected it would be. If you got most of the review questions right at the end of each unit, you will have no problem with the test...even if you never touch the labs (which are honestly kind of useless).
    but I'm wondering..."what do i memorize?" function switches? Protocols? I want to know exactly what they're going to ask in the exam and I felt this package didn't provide me with that.

I'm not going to violate the NDA by getting into specifics, but I will tell you that the videos cover nearly everything you need to know for the exam. I know it doesn't seem like enough, but for this test...it is. The course is very much written around the content of the test. And the labs are considered supplemental. If you ask any EC-Council rep, they'll tell you that the videos were meant to be a stand-alone...all you need...test prep.

Should I get more experience with shell commands? Linux commands? .

The Linux portion of the exam was removed when they moved from CEHv6 to CEHv7. Don't worry about Linux or Backtrack at all. The only thing you need to know about linux is the differences in how Linux and Windows responds to different types of TCP flag scans (xmas scan, FIN scan, etc...).

Should I go now and purchase AirPcap so I can use Cain on windows for wireless?.
    Its not a bad idea if you want experience on the Windows side of things. But for the purposes of this exam...not necessary at all. Also...keep in mind that if you do, most wireless adapter drivers for windows do not support promiscuous mode. Do some google searches and find out what kind of adapter you need to purchase.
    SO MANY QUESTIONS!! Maybe I'm just used to the way CompTIA does it.?.
    The test is easier than CompTIA's exams. So much so that many answers will just seem too right, and you'll be convinced that they are trying to trick you. The only way you could really go wrong on this test (if you know the content presented in the course) would be to second guess yourself and overthink the questions.
    The questions are worded so horribly I'm scared they're going to be like that on the exam. They always fooled me and couldn't tell what it was asking. I really hope Eric Reed put those together on the fly. They are poorly written and just made me angry when I saw "FAILED" instead of pass even though I knew all the concepts.

There is "a very good possibility" that you will see many of those questions again. And yes, they are worded just as bad on the test. And sadly, its like that for all the EC-Council tests. But for any that you did "FAIL" on, you are probably over thinking them (you're in CompTIA mode). Go back over a few of the units and try to understand why they made the answers what they are. Usually the reason is very simple and even obvious if you can get out of the habit of talking yourself out of choosing an answer that is "too obvious."

Hope that helps.
  • itguy7itguy7 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. Your reply helped me feel better about what to study and what not to. I'll probably watch the videos again just because I have the time at work and to better understand the concepts. I also agree I'm in CompTIA mode. Can you blame me? Those tests TRY to trick you. "Choose the MOST correct answer" What B.S. But it did teach me how to differentiate between the two MOST correct answers.
    Good luck on the exam.
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the review. I've started looking at pursuing CEH and CISSP this year. So far the best course offering I found was the EC-C iClass iWeek instructor lead online class. Your experience makes me wonder if it's worth it and think if over. I'm definitely concerned about your lab experience as that's the main reason I want to take a class versus the do-it-yourself route like I normally do. So that's disappointing. I'm happy to hear the videos/instructions were great quality and I might just take the class anyways. . . . . Unless someone has some better class ideas? I do like to travel, but other commitments are keeping me close to the Kansas City area for the next few months.