Took the exam on 31 MARCH... just got my results

dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
The wait was worth it! I passed!!

Time to celebrate!
Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow

Comments

• spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif Hopefully I'll have a similar post in a few weeks.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Passed which (ISC)2 exam? The CISSP?
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    removed unnecessary quote

Yes sir - I have passed the CISSP exam.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Syler2012Syler2012 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    Congrats! Mind if I ask how and what you studied? How long etc.?
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, would say it was a tough exam?
    The Wings of Technology
  • FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice one! Congrats.
    pcgizzmo wrote: »
    Congrats! Mind if I ask how and what you studied? How long etc.?

I have over 10 years of experience in IT, with the last 3 being dominated by security concerns; during the previous 7 years I had moderate interaction with security concerns.

I used the AIO 5th Edition text and the Shon Harris recorded lectures. I listened to the recordings on the way to and from work (my commute is about 30 minutes each way) and read the book at every opportunity. I attended a CISSP prep course offered by Global Knowledge in February (took the exam at the end of March), and through that I also got access to the Transcender CISSP practice exams. I didn't rely much on the practice exams, but I did use them to gauge my understanding of various domains (i.e. I would pick out the domains I performed poorest on and hit those up for extra studying).

For total time spent... a few months. I started reading the AIO back in December but didn't really become dedicated to studying until my CISSP prep course came around. After the prep course, it was total dedication.
    quinnyfly wrote:
    Congrats on the pass, would say it was a tough exam?
    If you have the requisite experience, then it's definitely challenging but not insurmountable. The toughest parts for me were those that I didn't have a lot of experience with - which is mostly the business side (BRP, DRP, etc...) and a lot of the material dealing with certification and accreditation of information systems. I have very minimal exposure to the rainbow series books, common criteria, etc...

Tech Exams and the surrounding community is a great resource and definitely helped me along the way - so a big thank you to everyone!
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    dmoore44:

What are your thoughts on the Global Knowledge bootcamp class? I start the two week course next week. Good/Bad/Opinions?

Thanks.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Honestly, your experience will all depend on the quality of the instructor. The instructor I had was very good - she had decades of experience multiple IT disciplines. She also had military and non-military experience, so she brought a lot of knowledge to the table. She also had a very easy going style, which was good because there were times when we would stray from the lesson to get a little deeper in to a topic.

Another facet that made the Global Knowledge class pretty useful was the quality of the people in the class - but I'm sure that could be said of any training provider, not just GK. The people in my class came from a wide variety of industries (not all of them were government, and not all of the government employees were DOD), so the added perspective was really useful.

Anyway, all that being said, I've been to quite a few Global Knowledge courses (for CUCM and a few other Cisco classes), and they've all been good. GK usually does a good job in selecting instructors.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats on the pass. Whats next??
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • symcsymc Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »

Yes sir - I have passed the CISSP exam.

Congratsicon_smile.gif I'm still waiting for my results for my CISSP taken on 25/03, they told me we could go as long as 8 weeks because our papers got caught up in the twice a year scruitiny. (apparently twice a year they take a whole class of exams papers and check, cross check, and triple check the results). So although we have been scored we will be none the wiser for another 2 weeks. I dont get it, as shortly after we get our resutls the papers will be retired to make way for the CBT's????
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. Whats next??

CEH is next - I'm taking a boot camp style class for S&G's and then I'll probably go after my CCNA with an eye towards CCNA: Security.
  • BGavnGBGavnG Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a 5 day now and for me it isn't working too well. He's very knowledgeable, there is zero doubt about that. But the way I learn things is not conducive to his teaching.

mog27 wrote: »
    dmoore44:

What are your thoughts on the Global Knowledge bootcamp class? I start the two week course next week. Good/Bad/Opinions?

Thanks.
  • NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□