Passed Network+! (005)

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
Just passed with a score of 806! I used the practice exams here on TechExams and I threw all the Professor Messer videos on my phone and watched on my commute to and from work every day for the past two weeks.

If it helps, I saw a ton of wireless questions and a lot of security as well...and no subnetting! Haha.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to go for next? Security+ seems like the natural choice...with CCENT to follow? Thanks so much!
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ is a lot of money, almost as much as getting the CCNA and I believe CCNA holds more value then the CompTIA exams if it was me I would go for Cisco (because I like to save money). If you dont mind spending the money go for it!
    btw nice to see another person from Boston icon_cheers.gif
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You passed with just watching the videos ? Did you have any previous networking experience.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations.

Thanks for mentioning that you saw a lot of wireless and a lot of security....

With A+ and Network+ under your belt, you are very close to Security+. Not sure how long you studied for Network+, but you could take and pass the Security+ exam within a month if you pursued it. Experienced people have done it even quicker. There's a lot of crossover with wireless and security and other Network+ topics. Also, many organizations recognize the risks related to IT security and value employees that understand these risks and the Security+ cert helps you demonstrate you have an understanding of basic IT security-related risks.

A CCENT will take a little more time but is a good choice after Security+ if you like working with networking devices.

Good luck in whatever path you choose.

he Security+ cert is valued by

but if it was only two weeks you could also take and pass the Security+
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    I have three years of help desk experience, but nothing too network specific. But yeah, the videos and countless practice questions from numerous sites (mainly this one).

Thanks so much for the advice Darril! I plan on buying your book later today to help study! icon_thumright.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I used this app extensively as well...

CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Mobile App on iPad, iPhone, Android Phone and Android Tablet

...they also have a Security+ app I just bought too. Nice setup between Flash Cards, Study Questions, and then Practice Exams.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Great job! Security+ or CCENT would be a good way to go, keep learning is the main thing.
    Would Security+ or CCENT be easier at this point? I've heard from some people that Security+ is actually easier than the Network+. Is CCENT pretty much Cisco's version of the Network+? Or does it involve proprietary hardware/etc. from Cisco themselves? Thanks so much everyone, it means a lot! :)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thanks so much everyone! :)
  • FueledbycaffeineFueledbycaffeine Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats on the pass!
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    If it helps, I saw a ton of wireless questions and a lot of security as well...and no subnetting! Haha.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to go for next? Security+ seems like the natural choice...with CCENT to follow? Thanks so much!

Confirmed. Passed today (destroyed!), tons of wireless and security questions. I'm going with Sec+ next, then CCENT, since this is fresh in my mind. Going to use Darrill's book!
    Nice to see someone else on the same track as me! icon_cheers.gif
  • NoercNoerc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gratz! keep up the good work
  • ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matt333 wrote: »
    Sec+ is a lot of money, almost as much as getting the CCNA and I believe CCNA holds more value then the CompTIA exams if it was me I would go for Cisco (because I like to save money). If you dont mind spending the money go for it!
    btw nice to see another person from Boston icon_cheers.gif

I can get the Sec+ voucher for 185, which is what I paid for both my A+ vouchers
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□