Options

What certifications should I geT?

Seeley4859Seeley4859 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have an Associates in Science Degree in Information Technology: Network Security and Computer Forensics. I work at a bank on there ATM help desk, basically doing noting close to what I went to school for. I have applied for several positions in the company and several positions outside the company but I have never received an offer. I currently do not have any certifications and am thinking that is why I am not getting hired. I would like opinions on what certifications I should go for. I would like to get into some sort of Network Security position eventually but realize that I need to start at the bottom and work up.

I am planning on going for a CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, and a CCNA. I see lots of negative comments about the Network+. Are those good certs to start with? What else should I get? Are there any Microsoft certifications I should go for?

Thanks in advance for the comments!

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would think about turning that associates into a bachelors personally. But you didn't ask that, so.......

I am assuming you have a nice foundation of both security and networking through your associates program. I would consider security + if you plan on applying for government jobs right away. If you are looking at private sector I would focus on the CCNA. This is of course assuming your a comfortable with principals of networking OSI model, protocols, etc.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I would think about turning that associates into a bachelors personally. But you didn't ask that, so.......

Yes, eventually I will go for a bachelors and then a masters but as of right now that it out of the question.
    N2IT wrote: »
    I am assuming you have a nice foundation of both security and networking through your associates program. I would consider security + if you plan on applying for government jobs right away. If you are looking at private sector I would focus on the CCNA. This is of course assuming your a comfortable with principals of networking OSI model, protocols, etc.

I do have a pretty good foundation of both. I an comfortable more with networking than Security. I do not plan on going for gevenrment jobs. At least not yet. You didn't say anything about the Network+. Should I go for that one? Also, what would you recommend getting after those? Are there any that I did not mention that I should go for now?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is certainly nothing wrong with Network+, I personally think it goes hand and hand with the CCENT. Since it covers similar concepts but from a host point of view rather than a networking equipment point of view.

That being said, it is skipable. But I don't recommend it. It takes very little extra effort do earn the Net+ in tandem with CCENT.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333

Thanks for the input! Any suggestions as to where to go from what I have already listed?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already possess the knowledge then why relearn the same material? Besides CompTIA exams cost a lot of money for an entry level exam and you have to continue with education credits to maintain that certification. With that factored in I would jump into the CCNA track, this of course is assuming you learned a lot of the basics while completing your associate degree (networking and security)

Of course if you feel you don't have the knowledge locked in yet, then going for the entry level certification might not be a bad way to go.