How many here got their start through a technical/non-technical staffing agency?

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious, I have been pounding the proverbial pavement handing out resumes like they were candy, while I have gotten quite a few responses and even a few "interviews" they are all with staffing agencies. I'm starting to think that they are simply trying to boost their numbers as far as possible employees, with no real intention of finding me a position. I realize that this is the name of the game and by no means am I going to let a small discouragement stop me from my pursuit of an IT career but I was just curious on other people's experience with these types of orginizations.
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain.

I've meet with dozens of recruiters and staffing companies, and sadly I've only had one company not give up on me. They have found me work, but and several places did want to bring me on full time, but it came down to money or politics as to way they didn't hire me on full time.

What sites are you using to send out resumes? I only use indeed.com (which usually just sends me to Dice or CareerBuilder), I won't even touch craigslist or monster. Too many bad memories with craigslist and monster
  • neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Started out with Robert Half and FGP. FGP gave me my first position and was a great resource especially with my resume and telling me what people wanted to see on it. I would never want to work for Robert Half/FGP/TekSystems etc as a 'career' but sometimes its a neccessary start.
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    neilperry wrote: »
    Started out with Robert Half and FGP. FGP gave me my first position and was a great resource especially with my resume and telling me what people wanted to see on it. I would never want to work for Robert Half/FGP/TekSystems etc as a 'career' but sometimes its a neccessary start.
    I actually have a meeting with a rep from Robert Half tomorrow (crosses fingers) I will take anything to gain the experience that I need

@Shadow
    I have been using Dice and Monster primarily, I have also been just googling the names of major companies with large buildings that come to my mind and browsing their job boards, although the last method is a lot of work with very little actual jobs being applied for, it's a different angle and I'm hoping that it will work to my advantage.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    careerbuilder.com is worth a shot too. I found that sometimes it had a lot of cross over with the other sites but when I was unemployed I didn't discriminate when it came to what sites I browsed/put my resume on.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of my 1st jobs out of the Army was through Accu Staffing working for Compaq (premerger). Spent 2-3 years going from staffing company to staffing company on little 2-3month jobs before getting a full time job. It used to be a great way to get into the door but now they seem to want over qualified people to do basic jobs around here.
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    One of my 1st jobs out of the Army was through Accu Staffing working for Compaq (premerger). Spent 2-3 years going from staffing company to staffing company on little 2-3month jobs before getting a full time job. It used to be a great way to get into the door but now they seem to want over qualified people to do basic jobs around here.

I know exactly what you mean, I actually got a response from a Level 1 Help Desk position yesterday saying that they won't even consider anyone with anything less than a Bachelors degree. It's one thing for companies to overshoot by listing ultra high standards but this company was %100 literal with their rediculous expectation for overqualification.