Options

Only ITIL MALC left - best online ways to take class and exam?

I currently have passed all of the Intermediate exams (ST, SD...) and I only have MALC left. I had planned on taking MALC with my current company, but I am not going to be able to use the classroom class with my current company as I am changing jobs in early June.

My question is - can I take MALC online, and if so, who are the best providers for this type of training/exam prep? I'd like to be able to take the material online in about a week and then take the test online (proctored) the next week.

This may have been answered on here before, but I wanted to get the best current providers. And since I will be paying for this out of my own pocket I would like to keep the cost under $1000.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Todd

You can take MALC (the course and the exam) online. I'm a training provider myself so I can't offer an opinion on 'best' :) but as long as you choose an accredited training provider the course material will meet the standards in the syllabus and should prepare you for the exam.

There are different types of online course so take a look at demos etc offered on vendor sites to make sure the material will work for you.

MALC is a tough course so give yourself plenty of time to review the material and do the recommended extra reading in the core volumes if you have access to them.

You might see training providers referring to 'MALC 2007' or 'MALC 2011'. A new version of MALC was released on May 1st, aligned with the revised 2011 core volumes. If you took your Intermediates before Dec 2011 MALC 2007 will be most suitable for you. If you took your Intermediates this year they will be the 2011 version so MALC 2011 will be better.

Drop me a message if you've got any questions and good luck,

Claire
  • Options
    priderockpriderock Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Claire, I see that you are a very active and helpful member around here. Thank you.
    How many hours of self study will be enough to prepare for each of the intermediate courses ? I know it is very difficult to estimate this because it could depend on so many factors (job experience , how smart you are etc), but I am looking for a general rule of thumb. Since you are a trainer yourself, I thought you might have some general observation on overages.

On the same note, Do you recommend intensive study for short time or one of two hours a day for longer time ? For example prepare for 8 hours a day for a week and take the test vs 2 hours a day over 4 weeks ?
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Priderock

For each Intermediate course the syllabus will mandate a set number of study hours and then recommend a further amount of time self-studying in the ITIL core volumes. For example, a lifecycle course is 21 hours + 21 hours self study. The times they give are pretty accurate - although as you progress towards expert you may find your study time gets a bit shorter because your overall knowledge and experience is growing.

We have had some people who have got to Expert very quickly taking our training program, but they were already familiar with ITIL and didn't have much pressure from work or family. Other people study more slowly and fit their studies around their lives.

I would not recommend 'cramming' for expert unless you need it quickly (for example for your job). I advise our delegates to take their time and give the knowledge chance to really sink in - that way they will pass the exam AND retain something useful for their ongoing career. So, short blocks of study, time to reflect and ask questions, then taking the exam when you are ready, rather than trying to do everything at once.

But that's just my opinion of course :)

Kind regards

Claire
  • Options
    sdeskssdesks Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pride rock,

I would suggest you reach out to others with your skill set and knowledge base to get their feedback. Just reach out if you want me to hook you up with a few
  • Options
    TeamGurrenTeamGurren Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have same question. What are some recommended providers?
    I would also like to keep cost under $1,000

(I already saw the "any accredited" reply. Got it. Looking for folks who had a good experience with a provider, really impressed with the material, etc.)

This may have been answered on here before, but I wanted to get the best current providers. And since I will be paying for this out of my own pocket I would like to keep the cost under $1000.