Sec+ Exam is booked!

clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Booked my exam last night, I was a bit shocked at the price of it to be honest. I think it was £209 so about £40 more than my recently taken Network+ exam.

I took the practice exam on the Comptia website and scored 72% the day after I passed N+ so decided it might not be too difficult to plug the knowledge gap to get another exam passed. I've read the Darrel Gibson book and it has helped immensely, I read it on my Kindle so I could read anywhere on phone, browser etc as well and found it really useful. I've got two weeks now before the exam so I'll be brushing up, watching a few Messor videos to try and firm things up as well.

What I could do with is a few other practice questions and was looking at the Security+ app on the Android Marketplace that Darrel has put out. I installed it and the writing was really small on my Galaxy Nexus so decided to refund. Can anybody else recommend a good selection of practice questions (not ****!) that I could work on?

Simon

Comments

• Seattle-TechSeattle-Tech Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great job Simon.
  • Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    Use all the questions from Darril's book. There are 100 questions on the practice exam at the end of the book and 268 questions you run across during the book. (end of chapter questions) That gives you 368 practice questions and is sufficient for the exam. I used Darril's iOS app on both iPhone and iPad and did not have any issues with font size. (especially on the iPad :D )

You can also take the practice exam on the CompTIA web site although I find those tests to be harder than the actual exams and they do not seem as up to date.

I also got bot sets of audio files. The first set is all of the "Remember Now" points for each chapter. The second set is all of the end of chapter review questions (the 26icon_cool.gif with answers.

If you finished the book already then 2 weeks seems like a fairly long time before the exam. You may want to bump it up a week in my opinion. Use this last week to review and do practice questions.

Thanks

Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    Carl's Certification Journey | The road to getting certified can often be bumpy
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd sit the exam tomorrow if I could but I've got colleagues off at work so it's not possible for me to get the time away from my desk at the moment. I like to think I'm good enough to be able to pass on my first attempt but I'll have to keep sharp in order to do so, I'm going to keep doing an hour per evening on Sec+ this week. There are a few other Sec+ apps on Android so I'll take a look at those and see if I can find something good.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck! I'll be seating for the test within the next month or so (after I pass ICND2 and wireshark cert).
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! I'll be seating for the test within the next month or so (after I pass ICND2 and wireshark cert).

Nice - I've been eyeballing the Wireshark cert myself. Have you been studying for it already?
    Yeah a little bit, I'm more focused on ICND2 right now. From the little amount of studying I have done already, it seems very interesting.
    Yeah a little bit, I'm more focused on ICND2 right now. From the little amount of studying I have done already, it seems very interesting.

Same - I'm wrapping up ICND2 myself. That official cert guide is looking pricey! $99 for the Wireshark paperback on Amazon...I could get it on Kindle, but I like having the book in hand.
    You can buy "Practical Packet Analysis, 2nd Edition" for 25.00, read the book and see if you actually want to move on to the official book.
  • NoercNoerc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GL on the test, you can do it!
    You can buy "Practical Packet Analysis, 2nd Edition" for 25.00, read the book and see if you actually want to move on to the official book.

Picked it up! At 280 pages it should give a nice intro without consuming too much time. Thanks for the tip!
    Did you already have it? or did you just buy it?
    Did you already have it? or did you just buy it?

Just bought it
    Just took the test on the Comptia website again and got the same score as I did previously, 72%! I'm a bit worried about it now but at least it's identified the areas where I most need to brush up. Looks like I'll be working on Cryptography tonight, I only got 7/16 correct there. I'm a bit frustrated after reading the book thoroughly and watching the videos but I'm determined to pass this exam so that I can move onto my next certification.
    Exam is at 10am tomorrow, wish me luck. No revising tonight, just a good nights sleep I think.
    clarknova wrote: »
    Exam is at 10am tomorrow, wish me luck. No revising tonight, just a good nights sleep I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about the CompTIA online practice questions - I never did very well on those myself, but I never failed the actual exam.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the CompTIA online practice questions - I never did very well on those myself, but I never failed the actual exam.

Good to hear, I'm in the same boat with regards to the Net+.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
    Passed with 892/900, luckily very few Crypto questions came up. Going to have the rest of this week off and reclaim my evenings, next week I'll be getting my head down and working on CCENT.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    clarknova wrote: »
    Passed with 892/900, luckily very few Crypto questions came up. Going to have the rest of this week off and reclaim my evenings, next week I'll be getting my head down and working on CCENT.

Congrats! :) Would you mind elaborating on the study material you used? I'm studying for it now!
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
    I used the Darril Gibson book and the Professor Messer videos, both were excellent. I also used the practice questions and exam from the Comptia site and from Darril's book. I think that's all you need to pass. I used the Kindle version of the book so I was able to read it anywhere that I was that I could access a browser so that helped me to brush up every time I had 5 mins to spare.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass. 892 is a great score. Glad the book helped.
  • DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Being a newbie here and having just passed the Sec+ exam on Monday, I've been noticing the absence of Microsoft certs from the group. Is this on purpose or planned to be obtained at a later date? Doing the CompTIA testing there is the Windows slant and it APPEARS to me the next step as far as Sec certs go but just reading this thread would make me think that the Microsoft cert ISN'T next up!!! Just trying to be open to the good side of the force.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    DEC901 wrote: »
    Being a newbie here and having just passed the Sec+ exam on Monday, I've been noticing the absence of Microsoft certs from the group.

Welcome to the forums. This is a very rich site and this section is focused on CompTIA certs with this specific forum focused on Security+.

If you scroll up and click on Forum, you'll see there's much more: http://www.techexams.net/forums/. This link will get you to the group of Microsoft forums: Microsoft Forums

Good luck.
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging