Quick, but useful certification

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm looking to take some time certifying in something useful that isn't but of the MCITP:EA track. I'm taking 11 credits this semester, and I've been too busy and too discouraged (after three failures) to really keep up with 70-643. I've been at it too long, and now that I can't focus the attention it needs I'm getting pretty discouraged on the certification side. I'd like to use my free time to study for something else that would both be useful and add some value to my resume without becoming a huge time sync. I think this would boost my confidence, which I'll need if I'm ever going to finish 643.

The first few that come to mind:
ITIL Foundation -- Not too difficult or time-consuming, from what I've read, but a good start to a highly useful framework.
70-662 -- I've setup/migrated about a dozen production Exchange servers, and have been administering Exchange 2003-2010 for ~5 years. Judging by the objectives, I probably already know 65% of what I need, and the rest should come easy enough.
SSCP -- A deeper dive into security without going as deep as CISSP would be nice, though I don't have a good concept of how much time this would take.
Linux+ -- My Linux experience and knowledge is pretty eclectic, and I'm past the "know enough to be dangerous" stage, so this would help improve and validate some of my existing skills.

What doesn't come to mind:
CCNA -- I've been wanting to take CCNA for years, but most of the knowledge just doesn't apply to my life and I don't have the drive to setup a lab right now.
CISSP -- Seems like a big time commitment, and it's probably a stretch to claim I meet the requirements to be more than an "Associate of" (in another ~9 months I think I could make a valid claim)
VCP -- Don't have time for a class and work won't pay for it
SharePoint -- GET IT AWAY

Any thoughts?
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That sounds like a great idea. ITIL definitely came to mind. What about one of the focused certs from CIW? Some of their topics may be applicable. Or do a non-cert related course - there are great free courses on coursera.org.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ITIL

It is the least time-consuming from your list and can be done with a weekend of study, if you have the right mentality for it.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd concur on ITIL, worthwhile cert to have. More and more job adverts ask for the ITIl v3 F cert these days.

If you dont have time for the VCP class, do it online at UCSC or some other place which offers it online. I paid $1000 for my class at UCSC and it finishes in a week, hasnt been bad. They'll also give us a voucher for 70% off the exam at the end of it.

A mate of mine does Exchange at work, found the 662 a struggle with all the obscure PowerShell stuff he got hit with. He reckons the 663 is easier to attain, and with the level you are at it - shouldnt be too much of a hassle.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like others have said ITIL is useful to have. If you're interested in storage, EMCISA gives you a high level overview of all things storage.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Another vote for ITIL here.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For true analyst type work Excel or Access wouldn't be to bad to pick up and shows employers you at least know how to create a form and/or build a pivot table.

ITIL foundations is easy, but where I am at has ZERO value. But in other environments it's highly valued.

I think anything CompTIA falls into the quick category. 1 month of studying for any of the exams should give you a legit shot of passing the exam.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITIL it is! I'll see what I can find here for study material recommendations.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »

1. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    2. search itil csu
    3. watch the 150+ clips (most are less than 10 min)
    4. take some practice exams
    5. go take the exam
    6. wait 3-4 weeks for your pin
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pt

PM I have some material I can send you.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Here's my review:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/itil-certifications/64981-itil-v3-foundation-thoughts.html

Good luck!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow, thanks for all the advice, people. I'll check it out.