Packet Tracer

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
Is everyone using Packet Tracer enrolled in Cisco learning academy for the free download? Or are you using Packet Tracer 5.3, through packettracernetwork.com?

Cisco Packet Tracer - Cisco Systems

Packet Tracer 5.3 : Network simulation software

Comments

• elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I don't use Packet Tracer at all. It definitely has it's place for the CCENT and I suppose the CCNA, but I'm just not a huge fan of it. GNS3 is typically my go-to for routers because you can examine exactly how a router reacts to specific things.

To answer your question though, when I did use PT I was enrolled in a class that was a Cisco Learning Academy partner or whatever so I got it through that. Either way, 5.3 is the latest release so it shouldn't matter how you get access to it so long as it's legal I guess.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    There is no packet tracer through that website. The download link is just a link to a google search. Obtaining PT through any source other than Cisco is piracy.
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Anybody else using GNS3 over packet tracer? I do not have a desire to sign up for a CCNA course at a community college, to become a part of Cisco Networking Academy, just to download packet tracer.

What are my options?
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Anybody else using GNS3 over packet tracer? I do not have a desire to sign up for a CCNA course at a community college, to become a part of Cisco Networking Academy, just to download packet tracer.

What are my options?
    Yeah, man. GNS3 gives a more feature-filled and closer to real router experience than Packet Tracer can. It can't emulate switches, though, so keep that in mind. To get GNS3 to work, though, you need at least one copy of a router IOS.