Change Management Application/Software

ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking for some suggestions on what people are using out there to keep track of change management. I am working with NERC Rules and regulations and this is a big deal. The current solution we are using is not all that great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use our ticketing/CMDB/CRM system, ConnectWise. It is designed for service providers specifically, and it even includes a change tracking component. It requires significant setup, almost to a fault, but that means it will work more or less however you want it to, within reason. For any kind of service organization, I would recommend it.

I'm sure there are other systems that have similar better functionality that include change management functions. I'm a big proponent that ticketing/service, change management, configuration management/documentation, etc should all be in on highly integrated application or suite of applications. This allows you to tie changes to assets and tickets so you can easily track change impact and correlate it with any future problems.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We will be using SharePoint for our change management process

I actually just finished developing a SharePoint workflow solution for our change control process. We will be using SharePoint Server 2010 to store and manage all the documentation.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will look into those both. I know that the solution we need cannot be anything way to expensive. I know that we use sharepoint on our corporate network but not on our separate network which would require another license.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, I'm not totally crazy about Sharepoint as a solution for any of these needs. Compared to a dedicated suite it is cumbersome to setup and clunky to use. It's also pretty resource-intensive on the server side. Sharepoint can definitely work and brings some advantages in that you can really customize it do whatever you want, but I'd try to stick with a dedicated, integrated,third-party commercial solution.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    Ok I think I found a decent one that allows for asignment of a task and ticketing. looks pretty good. Havent asked for a quote yet though waiting on response from upper management before I proceed or put to much work into it.
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    which have you found?