Using a mpls core instead of frame relay in ccnp voice lab.

I know on the topology set up for ccie voice the 3 routers are connected to a frame relay cloud. As I do not plan on going for ccie voice figured why cant I just mix it up a bit for my lab. I figured since mpls seems to be more prevalent in real world settings why don't I just set up a mpls core instead of frame relay. I can work on voice and play with mpls at the same time? What does everyone think good idea or bad idea?

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I figured since mpls seems to be more prevalent in real world settings why don't I just set up a mpls core instead of frame relay. I can work on voice and play with mpls at the same time? What does everyone think good idea or bad idea?
    In the real world, if you have happy Frame Relay customers, you can keep Frame Relay on the edge and transport it over a VPWS MPLS core. MPLS and Frame Relay are compatible. :)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see why it would cause any sort of issue.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Shouldn’t be an issue – You’re just adding more complexity to your setup (and voice is already a beast without the additional curve balls!).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you only have a single WAN router in your lab the MPLS configuration isn't going to be very interesting.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the real world, if you have happy Frame Relay customers, you can keep Frame Relay on the edge and transport it over a VPWS MPLS core. MPLS and Frame Relay are compatible. :)

The last company I worked for was configured in this manner. It worked well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been toying with a similar idea, but paused when I scoped the routers I'd need for P/PE devices.

May now have come up with an alternative...An MPLS cloud as an appliance...:)

I've got an old IBM x306 server (3.2G Pentium4, 3.5GB RAM) with 2 native NICs, add an Intel 1000 Pro quad NIC, and run GNS3 under Ubuntu or WinXP.

Setup the cloud in GNS3 and have it face the lab via 5 bridged NICs (1 for management).

The strange ideas we come up with in the shower...icon_lol.gif
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats what I was also thinking making a complex design in GNS3 then breaking it out to the physical network. Just wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull it off with ethernet connections but you answered my question.