God, is the CCDA really this bad?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
So ive decided to take the DA/DP exams in relation to my current situation. I bought the Bruno cert guide and are about 75% through. So far, the material is mainly trash! I feel it focus's on jargon, buzzwords and a lot of the Cisco product line / Marketing rather than the important facts of design work i was expecting. Theres a small number of useful tips and recommendations but not many. Its making me want to get through this exam as fast as possible to crack on with the ARCH.

Im hoping the word on the street is correct - and the DP is alot more interesting and useful!

the material itself isnt hard from the chapters ive covered. Can anyone provide any tips on the exam? Im just wondering if its going to be more like a memory test on the jargon i refer to?

Thanks
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I do not know much about the CCDA/CCDP exams, but when I did a little of research on them a few weeks ago...I heard most of the "good/interesting" topics were on the ARCH exam.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Is the CCDA doable without actually preparing for it ? Somehow, I have the feeling that if you have some experience and knowledge, you could just sit on it and pass it ?
    Non-native English speaker
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah thats what im hoping. I think im going to read the book a second time and look to schedule the exam. Ive designed networks that are more advanced so hopefully the real world experience will account for it.

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I tried to go to the DA track and got so bored I moved on to CCNA Voice instead...
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, most of the stuff one desires in design is in the ARCH exam. Stay thirsty my friends!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    I tried to go to the DA track and got so bored I moved on to CCNA Voice instead...

Yeah ive just read the whole book and stand by my initial judgement. Think i'll be rushing through this ASAP to get to the ARCH exam!

• ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im reading through the CCDA book at the moment, and agree with the Original poster it very average.
    Scales wrote: »
    Im reading through the CCDA book at the moment, and agree with the Original poster it very average.

Yeah im on my second pass now and its getting very mundane. The majority i will never use no doubt. My ARCH book should come in a few days so we shall see what that holds. Hopefully i can power through the CCDA and move onto the better stuff.

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    It gets better in the DP.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    It gets better in the DP.

Yeah i noticed, i recieved the DP book in the post and a quick glance through the material and it looks very interesting! i think many sections will plug the answers ive been looking for when studying for the NP etc.

Now to fight the pain and power through the DA first! My determination is dwindling rapidly on this one!