What's New 5.0

RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
I am wanting to upgrade my VCP4 to 5 (blah, should have got my 4 before the free "upgrade" without a class, only a test, was required) and know I will need to take the What's New in 5 class.

VMWare quote is $1500 for Live Online classes. Being new at this employer, I am not going to ask them for training expenses yet (I am still Contract-to-Hire as well for 90 days)- so I don't mind paying for it out of pocket. Is there a cheaper alternative that anyone is aware of? The $1500 really isn't a big deal- just looking for something else that may qualify.
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could take the install class from community college. Probably your cheapest route if company doesn't pay.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I second what Dave said. I did my class from UCSC for $1000 US, ended up costing me less than $1000 AUD because of the exchange rate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Know of VMUG?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Know of VMUG?

Doesn't VMUG subscription pay for VCP exam (via voucher), not class?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are training benefits too, here's the VMUG Advantage page: VMUG : Advantage Benefits
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    May want to check UCSC Extension. I believe they offer official classes that are online and are a bit more affordable:

Welcome to UCSC Extension Silicon Valley | UCSC Extension Silicon Valley

Good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I signed up at a local community college for less than $100. The class will be completely online.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    dave330i wrote: »
    Doesn't VMUG subscription pay for VCP exam (via voucher), not class?

VMUG pays for itself in no time. Seriously, $200 and you're in for a year. My Vsphere5 ICM class was $3500 - 20% = $2800. Then there's another $100 I save on VMworld. Then there are exam discounts.

networkjutsu-With courses, remember that it has to be VMware authorized to meet VCP requirements (should you ever want to go there). You can take things like that, but VMware will get your money eventually if you want to certify. :)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reminder for other TE members or lurkers. I do know about that. This community college is listed on VMware Academy as well as Cisco Network Academy. I've taken CCNA 3/4 (CCNA 1 & 2 were taken from another CC that dropped the program) and BSCI with them before so I trust the school. Also, before I even signed up I asked the instructor to confirm even though I knew the college was listed in VMware Academy. No harm in double checking right? icon_smile.gif

You cant beat less than $100 for ICM class. If I was still living in another state, I think I'll be paying more than $300/credit hour since I wasnt living in the same district of the CC.