RHCSA too pricey?

log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
hi
I'm actually in the middle-towards-the end of RHCSA self-studying, planned to take it in about 1/2 months actually.
had this "inside voice" feeling that made me check the test centers' red hat procedures (prices , exam dates) before I'm even done with the exam prep, and that's what I eventually did (yesterday).
I live in the middle east and there's probably 1 or 2 main & known places to take the red hat exam, so I checked with the test center about the pricing, I must say that I expected the exam to be much more expensive than any other since it's practical, and I was right, it is approximately 700$ (is that even normal compared to other countries?) . I took that in mind before I ordered the Red Hat's book and decided to go for it all the way anyways, but didn't expect the fact that the next exam date available is only in January(!) that is crazy.
Have no idea what to do now..should I continue studying and just brush up before January again or should I drop it for now? any ideas?

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't see why you should quit now since you worked so hard for it this far. Looks like you work with UNIX/Linux for a living, and the RHCSA/RHCE will eventually bring a return of investment. Although, I'm ignorant of how certs play a role in your country, so if the RHCE has value there, then go for it. You would have no problem brushing up by January assuming that you work with Linux for a living.

The RHCSA and RHCE (EX200 and EX300 respectively) are $400 each here. That's a lot, but totally worth it.
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    yeah, I figured I'll study the remainings for RHCSA and go over the material towards november/december and take it again in January.
    well, it's 700$ for RHCSA, I can imagine what the price for RHCE is going to be :scared: :-\
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait, you mean to tell me the price for the RHCE exam isn't the same as the RHCSA? What a ripoff.
    definitely not the same price. 700$ is way too much for a cert, but the time I invest into it and the desire I have to achieve it tops this (very expensive) spend, it's almost a computer price. and thats not even RHCE :-\
  • shred805shred805 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the secret to getting certs is having other people pay for them icon_cheers.gif
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Dolev, State side, the exams are $400 US each. I had my exam cancelled on my 3 times before I traveled 2 hours south to take it. It did help me get my current position with a fortune 100 though. So, money well spent.

For you, the LPIC, I think you said was more valuable where you're at. 700$ is steep, if that's dollars. What have your other certs cost you? I think I would finish up the book you're reading, then open it again in a few months. No use in getting ready to take the exam only to sit for 4-5 months. Pick it up again in December.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • biohzRdbiohzRd Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's idd very high , don't really understand why it's so high.
    Here in Belgium it's 400Euro.

Maybe (don't know if it would help).

Go for a trip somewhere , maybe the plain + exam is cheaper then in your country and you could do it quicker.
    Might be worth looking arround a little bit.

Else an option is go in January for the full packet. RHCSA & RHCE ?

It's sad news to hear for you because you have been so busy with the learning !

Hope you'll find a solution.
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In Romania Í've paid the equivalent of 400 EUros each. I think there is something fishy here because from what I've read the exam cost is fixed and cannot be changed.
    biohzRd wrote: »
    That's idd very high , don't really understand why it's so high.
    Here in Belgium it's 400Euro.

Maybe (don't know if it would help).

Go for a trip somewhere , maybe the plain + exam is cheaper then in your country and you could do it quicker.
    Might be worth looking arround a little bit.

Else an option is go in January for the full packet. RHCSA & RHCE ?

It's sad news to hear for you because you have been so busy with the learning !

Hope you'll find a solution.
    hey mate, yes I thought about this option actually, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    they surely gain a few $$$ from this, this is much higher than the standard price. but there's nothing I can do...it's either give up on the cert or pay them what they demand and proceed with my goal.
    from what it looks like to me now, i'll study all the objectives (must say my motivation isn't as high now due to this crap - but I do it for for my knowledge before thinking about it as an extra nice line in my resume, that helps me continue) and we'll see what happens in January.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Red Hat training and exams are pricey but to be fair, a lot of certifications are. It's depend on your personal return of investment value; do you think you can get a job with this certification, are you only taking the certification to get Linux knowledge, etc... I personally would take it because my company uses Red Hat and I could possibly move to the Red Hat engineer team, so the $400 would not bother me at all.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    its on par for mid range certs

look at the ms mcitp:sa which would be close to a rhcsa its 3 exams at 125 usd each so 400 usd for 1 exam is about the same
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • biohzRdbiohzRd Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Still it's weird that's the pricing is almost the double from other country's.
    Isn't it possible to mail red hat with this issue. 300$ difference is huge !

Maybe the date's can't be fixed but that pricing is way off...
  • phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dolev, If you're currently employed in IT, you should talk with HR and/or your manager and ask if they'll allow you to expense the cost of the exam. Companies don't always advertise these kind of things, sometimes you have toask. RHCSA is great but be warned that most IT companies are looking for RHCE, since RHCSA just touches of the surface of what a sysadmin needs to know. Edit: Btw, I see you're already LPIC-3. I took a quick glance at LPIC's exam objectives and unless you're working in a Red Hat shop, I don't see why you would want your RHCSA/RHCE. LPIC covers almost all of what RHCSA/RHCE would cover (the only thing I didn't see, unless I missed it, was KVM) and then some.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the UK it is £300 + VAT (20%) ... That is £360 which is approx. $570 USD ... Go figure.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    [h=2]RHCSA and RHCE are rip-off icon_sad.gif[/h]
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    From personal experience, I think that RHCE (and RHCSA) are a worthwhile investment. I did get interviews solely because I had RHCE. Take it. 700$ is nothing, you will get it back.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I concur with UnixGuy. In the US you would easily recoup the cost within a year at a new position.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    crashdump wrote: »
    RHCSA and RHCE are rip-off icon_sad.gif

Comments like that help no one, at least expand on the point.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I can see, Redhat has now taken full control of the Cert and are the only people you can book via? Is this correct?

Thanks.
    For those complaining about RCHSA/RHCE being too pricey, they should be aware the "MSRP" so to speak is USD$400, and this is straight from Red Hat's website:

http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/faq/

See the first link "What do the new exams cost?"

If you're paying anything above and beyond USD$400, your exam center is to blame, not Red Hat.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
    I'm not sure about how it was previously but, to my knowledge, you can only book the exam through Red Hat's website at this moment. While booking your exam, you'll be asked to chose a location near you. Once you've chosen a location based on state/city, you'll be presented with the exact address after you've submitted your billing info.
    Well, I'm scheduled for RHCSA at 31/12, 2 months from now.
    I currently have 2 last chapters to finish the first part of the book right before the RHCE part.
    I can pretty much do any task easily, I have an advantage since not quite recently I certified the LPIC level 3 Exam. and I also practice at work as it is my day to day job role.
    good I have ESXi 5 at work, the lab is available for me there too.
    Dolev wrote: »
    Well, I'm scheduled for RHCSA at 31/12, 2 months from now.
    I currently have 2 last chapters to finish the first part of the book right before the RHCE part.
    I can pretty much do any task easily, I have an advantage since not quite recently I certified the LPIC level 3 Exam. and I also practice at work as it is my day to day job role.
    good I have ESXi 5 at work, the lab is available for me there too.

It shouldn't be a problem for you. Good luck and keep us updated icon_smile.gif

UnixGuy wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a problem for you. Good luck and keep us updated icon_smile.gif
    Thanks dude! I will definitely keep this thread updated with the results! ;)
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    does anybody have a idea where i can make a booking for the ex200 exam?
    Dolev wrote: »
    hi
    I'm actually in the middle-towards-the end of RHCSA self-studying, planned to take it in about 1/2 months actually.
    had this "inside voice" feeling that made me check the test centers' red hat procedures (prices , exam dates) before I'm even done with the exam prep, and that's what I eventually did (yesterday).
    I live in the middle east and there's probably 1 or 2 main & known places to take the red hat exam, so I checked with the test center about the pricing, I must say that I expected the exam to be much more expensive than any other since it's practical, and I was right, it is approximately 700$ (is that even normal compared to other countries?) . I took that in mind before I ordered the Red Hat's book and decided to go for it all the way anyways, but didn't expect the fact that the next exam date available is only in January(!) that is crazy.
    Have no idea what to do now..should I continue studying and just brush up before January again or should I drop it for now? any ideas?
    There has been a misunderstanding regarding the prices between me and the test center.
    the price for RHCSA is (After a discount provided for various reasons) 394$
    for both RHCSA + RHCE it's 700$.
    I guess it now seems reasonable...
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's great news icon_cheers.gif, what's next ?
    Congratulations icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

• clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! What book did you use for studying? I've started this week using the Jang "RHCSA/RCCE Red Hat Linux Study Guide", hoping to take the RHCSA exam before the end of March.