To Everyone Who Has Passed the CISSP

joeykeisjoeykeis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
There are a bunch of threads on here about studying for the CISSP and eventually threads/posts where someone has passed the test.

What I am interested to know is what happened AFTER you passed the exam.

Therefore, Id like to start a thread on what happens next in order to inspire me and others who are studying and/or thinking about taking the test.

Two fold: Questionnaire and Poll icon_cool.gif

1) Why did you take the CISSP ?
2) Did you get a promotion or did you change jobs entirely or none at all?
3) Was there a big pay increase from your last job ?
4) Future plans, whether it be work or education?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I'm sure for folks with full blown CISSP the results are more pronounced but even for someone like myself who only sports the associate title it's definitely given a boost. I'm being given more interesting tasks wrt BCP, DR, Network security and also received a 5% "attaboy" (please don't leave the company) raise (several times more than the cost of the test, but remember it's only the associates).

Waiting is the hardest part. I have few years in IT but nill in info sec so with a degree I have to wait the full 4 years. But just peruse the exotic infosec positions that say " CISSP preferred/required". I can't wait to start vying for them.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I did my CISSP more for personal fulfillment. It was sort of a challenge to myself so I didn't really expect it to do magical things for my career but I have noticed that I get a *LOT* more calls, emails, and inquires from my resume on job sites ever since I put those magical credentials on my resume. I had a job interview last week for network engineer position with an IT director who had his CISSP and we chatted about the exam, certification process, etc for a good 20 minutes. I would say that it probably helped warm him to me but the rest of the interview was pretty awesome so I don't think that's what got me the job.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took the exam as part of a boot camp that was being offered to IT-related military that worked in my unit. The test has a reputation of enhancing a resume and increasing the amount a perspective job seeker can ask for. I'm still in the military so it had no immediate benefit to me; however, if I ever get out, I KNOW it will. No pay increase.

To your last question, I was pretty disappointed with the test and my experience. To prepare for it, all I did was attend a two-week class. I sat in the class listening to the lecturer. I did the practice tests that were offered (the questions weren't close to the test questions). I did not read any book (though we were given the Shon Harris book and work book). I think the thing I took away from the class was the testing methodology. The second instructor taught us how to analyze questions and how to pick the right answers.

I took the paper-based exam last year. It was a pretty harrowing experience, since it was 250 multiple-choice questions. I want to say I used about four hours. And then the waiting period afterward to find out if you passed or fail. Definitely a great test taking experience. I hope to take the CCIE R&S, which is another tough exam.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have my present job because a hiring manager found my (three year-old) resume on the (ISC)2's Web site. I would say that (ISC)2 certification has definitely been a benefit to me.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I probably fall more into the N/A category. I did it because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
  • winstarmanwinstarman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□

Got a job that turned into being an IAM and they asked what training I'd like to do so I did both Sec+ and CISSP.

2)
    Did you get a promotion or did you change jobs entirely or none at all?

Got a promotion - and job "evolved"

I am very satisfied with the difference it made in my pay. (Plus job security and confidence I could easily find a new job.)

Got AS in business admin this past spring, starting BS at WGU in September then planning on MBA. Also planning on more certs once new DoD 8570 comes out.
    RR, CISSP, PMP, FITSP-M, Sec+, Net+, Project+
    CISSP/PMP Memoirs: http://avitria.com/
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rrieben

WGU BSBM (Sep 2012-Dec 2012) Progress: COMPLETE! Transferred: AGC1 BBC1 LIT1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INC1 INT1 EST1 MGC1 QLC1 QMC1 QLT1 BVC1 EGT1 IWC1 IWT1 CLC1 MKT1 FNT1 TPV1 - Completed: EWB1 BNC1 LWC1 EGC1 MKC1 RWT1 FNC1 OBC1 QAT1 QDC1 QHT1 QGT1

• DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personal enrichment/challenge

Same job, but its already a pretty senior position so I wasn't expecting a big change.

It wasn't related to teh CISSP alone, but yes I did go up in pay oevr the last year significantly.

Just keep working in my profession.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    winstarman wrote: »
    Also planning on more certs once new DoD 8570 comes out.
    I went on the website today and it seemed like a revision occurred back in the beginning of the year: DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program The above web site was revised back in May. Is there another revision coming? It seems like CISSP still meets the Level 1-3 requirements. I think I might go for the CISM just for the icing on the cake. I wish the powers that be would send me to a SANs class (maybe I need to ask again).
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People I have spoken to over the years tend to basically agree that once you have the credential its "no big deal". To those who don't have the credential its sounds like the path to work heaven or something. Either way I always find the responses to be entertaining, nonetheless.

- beads
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Challenge.

Nope.

Nope.

CCIE Security...pretty much for the same reason as the CISSP - challenge and I like it. That and I don't feel like going even further into student debt to get a Masters degree in IA.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□

I took it to close out one of my past goals. I was supposed to have earned it in 2011 for a position I was trying to get but I ended up not getting side tracked and the position was filled. Despite that, I invested too much time and effort to just let that go to waste.

I actually ended up taking on more responsibility because I have it. Since it fills the IAT III block in DoD8570, there were a few IAT III rated responsibilities that fell on me as the only "qualified" guy. More responsibility + same pay = demotion icon_lol.gif

See the last part of #2.

ISSMP and CISM are in my future.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    More responsibility + same pay = demotion icon_lol.gif
    If you look at your career as a game of Chess or Go, sometimes you have to give up a little territory now to gain a lot more territory later in the game.