PASSED SWITCH! - now on to TSHOOT

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi guys,

I cleared the SWITCH exam this morning. Cisco exams always get my heart racing big time. I felt confident walking into the exam as I put hours and hours into studying. However, when I was answering the questions I suddenly lost confidence due to that stupid Cisco trivia - poorly written questions we all loathe. But, everything seemed to work, as others who have taken this exam recently reported.

I've been studying since the beginning of May, but took a two week vacation break and had to ramp up again afterward. I studied Monday through Friday 5pm-8pm and 5-7 hours on Saturdays and Sundays, with the odd weekend off.

I used the SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide, the OCG annexes (available online), the The Online CCNP Study Guide , The Cisco Learning Academy Lab Manual, whitepapers and documentation on Cisco.com and Boson ExSim Max for SWITCH.

The Boson Ex Sim Max exams are well worth the money. I found several weak areas that weren't covered as well as the could have been in the FLG and Boson link to Cisco documentation that explains all the nitty gritty. You need to know all of this stuff. Take the exams in simulation mode and then go each exam in study mode and read all of the explanations and also dive into the Cisco documentation they link to - it's all critical stuff.

Taking the evening off then I'll be studying for TSHOOT!

Cheers!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Did you find SWITCH or ROUTE to be more difficult?
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    /usr wrote: »
    Did you find SWITCH or ROUTE to be more difficult?

I felt the ROUTE exam was more difficult. It's true what people say about the level of detail. ROUTE goes really in-depth and SWITCH covers a whole bunch of topics, it's more broad.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    I deal with routing much less than switching...however that was one thing I did not like about SWITCH, how broad it was. We'll see how I fare on ROUTE I suppose.
    Congrats on the pass by the way! You'll be CCNP in no time icon_wink.gif
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    congrats! that is fantastic news. Alot of hard hours put in there. Gives me some confidence that the exam is passable

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, coolz203! Good luck on TSHOOT! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Nate
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on your pass wave!! I'll be following along hopefully in the next few weeks.. Thanks for the heads up about Boson sim helpfulness for this. I have it, but haven't gone through it yet. Figure it will be my "final" prep, but with your words, I might jump into it now instead. Good luck on Tshoot! One step closer to your NP!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    how do the boson sims work. Do you have to run windows to use it? like is it an actual standalone program you have to install or is it web based?

mattau wrote: »
    how do the boson sims work. Do you have to run windows to use it? like is it an actual standalone program you have to install or is it web based?

It's a standalone app you have to install. Not sure if they produce it for any other platforms. The sims in their tests are worthwhile doing before the live exam. The language in the Boson exams is much clearer than the real deal.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    wave wrote: »
    It's a standalone app you have to install. Not sure if they produce it for any other platforms. The sims in their tests are worthwhile doing before the live exam. The language in the Boson exams is much clearer than the real deal.

Question.. when you're talking about the boson sims are you referring to the cd-rom that comes with the SWITCH ocg?

Or are you actually referring to this..

642-813 SWITCH Practice Exam | Boson

Or can anyone else speak about this? 99$ is kind of steep since it seems I have enough study material. But then again if I can get an edge I'd consider it..
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Question.. when you're talking about the boson sims are you referring to the cd-rom that comes with the SWITCH ocg?

Or are you actually referring to this..

642-813 SWITCH Practice Exam | Boson

Or can anyone else speak about this? 99$ is kind of steep since it seems I have enough study material. But then again if I can get an edge I'd consider it..

I'm talking about the latter. The Cisco Press books usually have a 20% discount offer in the back pages. I also got a discount code for liking them on Facebook.

In my view the ex sim max practice exams are gold, well worth the money. I usually allow two weeks prior to each exam to take the 3-4 practice tests in simulation mode and then go over them in study mode. The notes and reference material boson provide is great.

There is a big difference between ex sim max and the exams that cme with the book. The book exams are developed by Cisco press using the bosom engine and they suck.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    wave wrote: »
    I'm talking about the latter. The Cisco Press books usually have a 20% discount offer in the back pages. I also got a discount code for liking them on Facebook.

In my view the ex sim max practice exams are gold, well worth the money. I usually allow two weeks prior to each exam to take the 3-4 practice tests in simulation mode and then go over them in study mode. The notes and reference material boson provide is great.

There is a big difference between ex sim max and the exams that cme with the book. The book exams are developed by Cisco press using the bosom engine and they suck.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Didn't know about the discounts offered.. Also, didn't know that the sims were different than the ones on the cd-rom, just thought that there was more. Might have to check it out. I feel strong on the topics right now, but want to leave no stone unturned
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EX-SIM Max is the way to go....used them for every CCNP exam and they were invaluable.....especially for TSHOOT
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...