Metro on a Server?!

GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sorry guys, I can't get that enthusiastic about Windows 2012 so far. The posts here seem very positive so clearly I'm missing something.

I really don't understand the point of Metro on a Server. To be it feels clunky, hard to navigate and not intuitive. I'm just wondering the reasoning behind it; are Microsoft forecasting we will be connecting to servers in the future on a tablet or something?

This is the first time I've genuinely felt that we've gone backwards on a Windows OS, certainly as regards the interface.

P.S. Very annoyed that the MCSEs expire; I felt the versioning approach of the MCITP was the right one. Not sure there are enough resources yet to upgrade to the new MCSA.

Comments

• al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the feedback, haven't tested the 2012 Server yet.
    Does the new UI suggest enhanced memory requirements than those of 2008?
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    al3kt.R*** wrote: »
    Does the new UI suggest enhanced memory requirements than those of 2008?

I haven't determined that yet. I have a bare Windows 2012 box which is currently using ~700-800MB according to the new-fangled Task Manager. The problem is I don't know how that compares to 2008, especially in that the figures might be telling me something different.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Have you tried making it a DC yet? That's where the fun start... icon_neutral.gif

I can't stand it. I am planning on using it as my workstation over Win8 though, just because it has better resource allocation.

It does seem completely useless having metro. Had a mate install it the other day and then grab a 3rd party program to get a start menu.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    kj0 wrote: »
    It does seem completely useless having metro. Had a mate install it the other day and then grab a 3rd party program to get a start menu.

UI changes are the worst to adapt to and MS is glued to major UI changes strategy for too long now.
    Let's hope the underlying system is as good as the 2003/2008 predecessors.
    Your post m8 though makes me doubt it, I mean if not a decent DC, WHAT then?????

Regards
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Metro allows server people to easily check their Facebook/Twitter/Weather/whatever else they use. Isn't it awesome? This alone would make me install Server 2012 on all servers.
    Just kidding :)
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess that's my point. As a competitor to Apple IOS, then fine. But for a server?

I can only think that they are thinking too far ahead. Eventually we'll all have (pseudo)tablets and have you tried using RDP on an iPad? It's tough!

The only thing is most system admins just want to get to the root of it, not fight an unintuitive interface. Maybe I'll get used to it as I remember the culture shock of Windows 95 although I quickly understood why Microsoft changed it.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Well really we should all be using Core installations more and managing servers remotely via powershell or management applications anyway.

But I agree that the new "start menu" is not a step forward, though I like overall look of the rest of the UI.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I guess I'm the only person that liked what they did with the new server manager. They actually made it worthwhile instead of worthless in my opinion. And I definitely like how easy it is to script a DC now.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I like have the eval for Essentials and storage server for personal use and I like the server manger in that respect, but for a full blown server I could see it being annoying.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Server 2012 is good, it just takes some getting used to, you can do everything you need to do via Gui/Powershell. I put my first Server into production a on release day (WSUS) <----Easy haha, I should be getting a production DC online next week. I would avoid using third party tools to make life easy because it never really does, but then if you are never going to work with server 2012 or windows 8 in production than I guess it doesn't matter but if you do you should start getting your head around it, like it or not things move on.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    undomiel wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only person that liked what they did with the new server manager. They actually made it worthwhile instead of worthless in my opinion. And I definitely like how easy it is to script a DC now.

I am with you 100%
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bdub wrote: »
    ... and managing servers remotely via powershell or management applications anyway.

I agree with this, but why remove another option?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • littlehoopslittlehoops Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Server 2012 is good, it just takes some getting used to, you can do everything you need to do via Gui/Powershell. I put my first Server into production a on release day (WSUS) <----Easy haha, I should be getting a production DC online next week. I would avoid using third party tools to make life easy because it never really does, but then if you are never going to work with server 2012 or windows 8 in production than I guess it doesn't matter but if you do you should start getting your head around it, like it or not things move on.

I went to put a server into production but my antivirus software does not work on server 2012... Which one did you use?
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So far really liking Server 2012 :) infact I like the cut down version of the Metro much more than Windows 8, Can't wait to get hands on setup a lab and start learning some sexy stuff like powershell and server core hehe
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • clowreed1985clowreed1985 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a client who really wants 2012 on his new server, so I've been setting it up over the past few days (we're also waiting on other things, which is why it's taking so long), and honestly, I like the new Server Manager quite a bit. Also, if you don't like the UI, you can always set it up as a Core server. :P Maybe it's just because I've been using Windows 8 as my home PC's operating system for a while now and I'm used to it. I've actually grown to like Metro, as crazy as that sounds.