CompTIA Boot camp.

vsanchez104vsanchez104 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are these worth it? It's $4k for 9 classes in 9 days and at the end of 9 days you take the exams to get certified in A+, NET+, SYSTEMS+.I was thinking of doing this at the end of the month but I thought it was a bit pricey.

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you new to the IT field? I feel that this kind of course would be extremely overwhelming for someone just entering the IT field.
  • vsanchez104vsanchez104 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've never worked in the IT field but I have done a little troubleshooting here and there but nothing too deep.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally my advice to you would be to not put that much pressure on yourself with that bootcamp. Take each certification exam one step at a time and make sure you grasp the concepts of each well. I feel that would benefit you more than just cramming for 9 days straight and then taking the exams. Its just way to much information to handle.
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest that you don't use a boot camp. I self studied for the CompTIA exams I took. $4k is way too much to be paying for certification training.
    Thanks for the advice :D I'll read the books and watch the Messer videos then take the exams individually. Any book recommendations? Anyone have any used books for sale here? and How much does each exam usually cost?
  • dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice :D I'll read the books and watch the Messer videos then take the exams individually. Any book recommendations? Anyone have any used books for sale here? and How much does each exam usually cost?

I recommend you get Mike Meyers for the A+ and focus on that first. The A+ costs around $320 total for the 2 exams but you can probably get it cheaper.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've read a lot of recommendation for Mike Meyers and Darril Gibson. I used Exam Cram for my trio, but that was years ago.

A Comptia bootcamp is one of the most absurd ideas I've seen yet. It would not be worth it, at all, ever. Total study materials and exam costs for the entire trio should not exceed $1000. It's simply not necessary. They are easy to self-study for using a combination of free materials and cheap books.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The best way to learn certs is by doing it slowly and going over the concept one step at a time, the amount your paying for this bootcamp is unbelievable.

Watch messers videos and buy good reading material and you should be good to go :)
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with the others, buy a book, take your time and learn the material. Plus you'd better check on the certs, never heard of SYSTEMS+.....
    ^ I meant Security+ lol I didn't see that mistake

I just got caught up in the fact that it's being certified in 7-9 days. I figured it was really expensive for that though so I'll just buy some books and set a goal to take one exam per month till I take both A+, NET+ and Security+
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not worth it. ROI for network + isn't enough to justify paying 4k for a class. You can find some books at a local library or watch this guys videos. Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training If you really feel like you need a classroom then see if a local community college or tech school offers classes that will prepare you for the test but trust me, it's not worth paying 4k.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vsanchez104 - don't waste your money. As others have said: watch Professor Messer's videos, get a few decent books and take your time to learn the material.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Agreed, Professor Messer Videos + 2 Books /Cert Should do the trick for Comptia
  • someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xocity wrote: »
    Agreed, Professor Messer Videos + 2 Books /Cert Should do the trick for Comptia

i agree! if youre going for cisco certs in the future, use the money to set-up a cisco lab instead! i know thats what im saving for icon_thumright.gif
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???