Now a CCNP - Passed TSHOOT this morning!

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi everyone,

I passed TSHOOT this morning and am now a CCNP!!! Feeling extremely stoked right now.

I used Boson ExSim Max for TSHOOT and highly recommend it. I bombed the first exam, making some silly mistakes because not all of the ROUTE knowledge was fresh in my brain. I passed the second two practice exams and felt much more confident.

I also scrubbed up on my ROUTE knowledge by doing the Troubleshooting labs from GNS3 Vault. I studied for the Multiple choice content using the Boson exams, Chapter One of the TSHOOT FLG and the troubleshooting section on www.ccnpguide.com

The allure of the CCIE R&S is drawing me in so I will most likely commence that quest! I'm about to start looking for a new job so providing time is on my side then I'll be set.

Thank you to everyone on these forums for your support!
ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Next: Job hunt and deciding whether to pursue the CCIE R&S

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats good job!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Goodluck on the job hunt and also on your decision to pursue the CCIE!
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome, congratulations!
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on your NP wave!! Awesome stuff! Ahh the ole draw of the CCIE huh.. intriguing. I'm half way pondering this as well, but am leaning towards getting some other certs beforehand. If I were to do it, I'd basically study as if the CCIP were still in place by reading up on BGP, MPLS, and QoS.. and then go full boar CCIE starting with the CCIE OCG..

If you do decide CCIE, what do you think your course of action would be for studying?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! On to CCIE?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    MrBrian wrote: »
    If you do decide CCIE, what do you think your course of action would be for studying?
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Congrats! On to CCIE?

That's the question I'm in the process of finding the answer for at present. I bought the Non-technical guidebook to the CCIE Lab which arrived yesterday. I plan on reading that and trawling through the CCIE section of TE to see how others have done it. It seems some people advise delaying the written exam until one is ready to go hard out studying for the lab. From flicking through the book I ordered I read some thoughts on the massive reading list and they pointed out that if you read one whopping text book and then another, you're not going to remember everything from the first one. I need to figure out a strategy to tackle the massive amount of information.

I've read a few forum posts where folks have used the OCG as a foundation and used the more detailed books to supplement + Video learning.

I think I would purchase the lab books from INE as I like the sound of those.

From a workload point of view I honestly think I would take it at a similar pace to the CCNP. I've studied roughly from 4.30pm til 8pm Monday - Friday and then Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm...sometimes had to knock off around 3pm. I have personal responsibilities so I'm not going to go crazy.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Flash cards are really good for memorization. I have used those and MS Word for note taking and have found it to be a pretty useful process.

Also, research "spaced repetition" since this is an extremely helpful technique Here's a start:
    How to study for your CCIE
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wave wrote: »
    From a workload point of view I honestly think I would take it at a similar pace to the CCNP. I've studied roughly from 4.30pm til 8pm Monday - Friday and then Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm...sometimes had to knock off around 3pm. I have personal responsibilities so I'm not going to go crazy.
    Some people (this guy) think that 4:30pm-8 mon-fri + 9am-5pm sat/sun IS crazy... :D You're hardcore!
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Wave!
    And secondly, that's a recommended way to study for the IE lab ;)
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    terrific to finally get to ccnp! I think its inspired alot of us who are stuck half way and need the extra push to get the cert.
    I think the NP tests every aspect of ones mental ability to stick through something. Its a long haul if you arent someone who is working with this stuff everyday, and lets face it, not many of us are as its not all that easy to get the job you want.

I'd recommend a short break eitherway.

• vyaraguddavyaragudda Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.. All the very best for you job hunt, keep us update about your interview experience..
  • nehalemnehalem Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wave wrote: »
    I passed TSHOOT this morning and am now a CCNP!!! Feeling extremely stoked right now.

I see you moved it up a week early! Good stuff. Congrats.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • crrimsoncrrimson Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats! Good job!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Imran_HaiderImran_Haider Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your success. and Good luck for your CCNP Test
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
    If the ccie mass of info becomes too much try teaching it , there are ccnp and ccna that would jump to join a study group hosted by somebody busy with ccie.
    I am thinking of skipping tshoot theory books and getting switch and route theory upto 100 percent and then writting tshoot, any comments in this.
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats.

Just don't let yourself burn out. CCIE is a marathon, not a sprint.

Do you have a lab?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Congrats.

Just don't let yourself burn out. CCIE is a marathon, not a sprint.

Do you have a lab?

Cheers! I have a physical CCNP lab but plan to rent rack time for the IE. I plan on keeping the same schedule I used for the NP which was probably more than I needed. That way I should avoid burnout :)

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012