Network Jobs Going Away?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Forgive me if I didn't post this in the absolute appropriate form but I wanted to target the Cisco Audience since it is the leading majority.

So my company is going to be putting into place software that will control out network more dynamically. I think for now we may be years off before it fully is implemented across our large network, but this kind of scares me in a way. The real main purpose of this is to eliminate overhead with hardware/software. I am just beginning my career in networking and kind of small piece of me is scared I am too late to make a long lasting career out of it. Now, this may just be me freaking out a bit and thinking WAY to much into the idea but it does have me thinking for sure.

I would like to know what are your guys thoughts on this as we edge into networking becoming more dynamic and needing less and less overhead. I understand this has been happening for years but from what I am told, the software we are testing and planning to implement has the ability to take out the human factor all together.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of software are you talking about? If its what I think you are referring to, something like EMCs Smart Network Configuration Manager then no, it can not take the human need out of the network. What these types of products do is the same thing network engineers have being doing forever with home grown scripts. It provides auditing and remediation of human set variables. It can not come up with these variables on its own.

So yeah, I think you are freaking out a bit.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    There are two absolute truths in life: 1. You will die some day, 2. Technology changes fast. Until the machines become self-aware there will be human intervention. Same argument as with cloud. Jobs may shift and evolve but they will be there, you just have to adapt.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is some of the stuff we are putting into place:

Home - Arista

I don't fully understand how it works but I think my boss is trying to freak me out calling is skynet...lol
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • vyaraguddavyaragudda Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Suggest me is it good to study Networking or Cloud, as future technology is going to be cloud, and Please tell which are the initial course to get into cloud enviroment and how about Opportunities for freshers "I am just decided to begin my career in networking"
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dude, NCMs have been about for a while. Nothing new really, they have a good place in the network if used correctly. Either way, you have to change with the times and keep evolving if you want to stay in this game.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I have never seen an automated system that can troubleshoot the network 100% of the time and physically replace bad equipment.
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Or Openflow. Ultimately I think you're talking about Software Defined Networking. At the moment I'm not convinced it can scale, and even in it's current form you are still going to need human intervention in our lifetimes as others have pointed out. You'll definitely have to continue to train and up-skill to adapt to the changes.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    vyaragudda wrote: »
    Suggest me is it good to study Networking or Cloud, as future technology is going to be cloud, and Please tell which are the initial course to get into cloud enviroment and how about Opportunities for freshers "I am just decided to begin my career in networking"

Can't have a cloud without the network.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with sides14 - I don't believe there's software out there that can fix a network error 100%. However, there's software out there that'll monitor your network and alert you whenever something goes down. Which, in my case helps me out A LOT. I've configured my nodes to e-mail me after a port has been down for more than 3 minutes. We have some locations that will go up and down in the night, and I don't feel like receiving 100+ e-mails in one night icon_cool.gif

Can't have a cloud without the network.
    Absolutely right! The cloud is just one gigantic network.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not to mention who is going to design the dang thing? Who is going to set up BGP and troubleshoot routing issues with the provider? Who is going to keep up with the aggregate changes that businesses do so quickly? Who is going to ensure that the environment is secure, do you think Audit is just going to check the box with 'The Computer said its secure?

Your job is safe. Just don't be afraid of change. You're in the wrong industry if you are.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I peeped cause I got alarm there for a second lol.