Options

When is CCENT/CCNA due for the next version renew?

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
Hey all,

Just a quick question, when is CCENT (ICDN1) or CCNA (ICDN2) due for its next version renew (A new version of the exam comes out). Just wondering as I am studying for the exams now and looking to book.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They havn't even mentioned a new version to my knowledge. So I don't think it will be changing anytime soon. At least I hope not since I am studying for it as well :)
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If they ever do then I hope they get rid of Frame Relay ;)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Good to know that they aren't planning on changing to a new version anytime soon!
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they ever do then I hope they get rid of Frame Relay ;)
    I can agree and disagree with this. Though FR isn't really used for end customers anymore, it's still used in service providers. So, the need to keep it is still there.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I can agree and disagree with this. Though FR isn't really used for end customers anymore, it's still used in service providers. So, the need to keep it is still there.

The more knowledge the better :)
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I have a feeling that it will change fairly soon. IPv6 to become a bigger topic -- Heard a few things as well, that questions are being created.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if they do revise the exams, usually it will be posted on the site a couple months ahead of time, and even when it is implemented, you can still take the previous version for about 4 months after that, so at the very least I'd say 6 months away.
  • Options
    oli356 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that it will change fairly soon. IPv6 to become a bigger topic -- Heard a few things as well, that questions are being created.
    I believe right now the CCNA/ICND2 covers IPv6 quite well. It gives you a good understanding of the subject on what's used and where it's used.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Apollo80Apollo80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Apollo80 wrote: »
    And MPLS.
    Can you elaborate on this, please?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Can you elaborate on this, please?

That is my opinion on a topic that should be included in the next revision of the CCNA.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is my opinion on a topic that should be included in the next revision of the CCNA.

Dissagree. If it is, it should be a 5 minute overview during the routing protocol sections. Go look at an MPLS book, they are as big as the CCIE book. I'd shoot myself i I had to learn it in the CCNA days. I also don't expect a CCNA to know MPLS, its pretty advanced and specialized these days. It belong in CCNP.

If they do update the exam topics and the exams, it will be a phased approach. They never just nix an old exam on Monday and you suddenly can't take it anymore. Its usually over several months (if not over a year) that they phase out the old criteria.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Dissagree. If it is, it should be a 5 minute overview during the routing protocol sections. Go look at an MPLS book, they are as big as the CCIE book. I'd shoot myself i I had to learn it in the CCNA days. I also don't expect a CCNA to know MPLS, its pretty advanced and specialized these days. It belong in CCNP.

If they do update the exam topics and the exams, it will be a phased approach. They never just nix an old exam on Monday and you suddenly can't take it anymore. Its usually over several months (if not over a year) that they phase out the old criteria.

I agree that diving into MPLS is out of scope given the purpose of the CCNA exam. The same holds true for all topics that are touched on by this exam. As the saying goes, it is 'a mile wide and an inch deep'. However, ensuring the CCNA candidate has a basic, theoretical understanding of MPLS would be beneficial.
  • Options
    I will have to disagree also. MPLS is a huge topic under the service provider exams and on the CCIE. The ICND covers enough for a small business. The ICND 2 covers enough for you to be Cisco support in a mid-sized business. Even in a corporate environment you probably won't be dealing much with MPLS.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I will have to disagree also. MPLS is a huge topic under the service provider exams and on the CCIE. The ICND covers enough for a small business. The ICND 2 covers enough for you to be Cisco support in a mid-sized business. Even in a corporate environment you probably won't be dealing much with MPLS.

In the interest of not filling up this thread with with futile posts, let's just agree to disagree.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How about BGP instead of Frame Relay? I was thinking about MPLS too but I wasn't sure how deep it would go.
    I also think that they do a good job of going over IPv6.

The CCNA could also focus more on VPN ;)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just a quick question, when is CCENT (ICDN1) or CCNA (ICDN2) due for its next version renew (A new version of the exam comes out). Just wondering as I am studying for the exams now and looking to book.

Cheers.

Microsoft has revamped their lineups, ComTIA already did some.I think its been 5 years for the 802, I will not be suprised if they also follow the trend.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    How about BGP instead of Frame Relay? I was thinking about MPLS too but I wasn't sure how deep it would go.

Frame Relay is still used, though. And VPN is where it should be - CCNA:Sec.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□

FR is used with BGP, at least at my work it does. (I carefully studied our router running-config)
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)