Hacking and programming

Talha_alamTalha_alam Banned Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does Hackers have scope and specially Is programming really help in hacking...????
I have a good grip in Programming now wants my self in a hacking field... tell me what should I do to become a good hacker.

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're talking about legitimate hacking to ensure that a companies network is secure, you need to start off with the basics - networking. Dive deep into networking and immense yourself. Start with Network+ if you have no prior experience with networking. Then go into Cisco/Juniper certifications. This will help with your knowledge of networking. After that I'd recommend you move on to Security+ and then into the Certified Ethical Hacker program.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    if youre asking is programming is relevant to "hacking" then perhaps you need to keep getting more of that good grip
    meh
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yes, to be a successful "hacker", you are going to need to understand programming. The more languages you know, the more successful you will be. As a developer, you are expected to be a master at one or a few languages. As a pentester, you are going to need to be at least functional with all of them.

Python, Perl, Ruby, SQL, PHP, HTML, Java, Batch, Bash, VBScript, PowerShell, Linux assembly, Windows Assembly...would probably be a good start.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To truly develop exploits you obviously need immense programming skills. This is what "real" "hackers" do.

To apply pre-existing exploits and to develop easy exploits using known techniques (e.g. SQL injection), you're still going to need a good, broad cross-section of programming skills. You can get a lot done with entirely interpreted languages and tools.

Networking knowledge is obviously important, but I don't see it as the crux of "hacking".

Defensive security (e.g. network and systems hardening) is generally not referred to as hacking. I assume by "hacking" you want offensive security, e.g. pentesting, or "cracking". This still requires reasonably broad systems knowledge, but is more heavily geared towards deep scripting and programming skills. I don't think too many serious "hackers" or pentesters pursue Cisco certifications that heavily. The networking knowledge is what matters, and the certifications deviate from the core networking knowledge far too much.

I would not recommend CEH or anything from EC-Council, as far as certifications go. You can learn the relevant tools without wasting time and money on CEH, and actually learn the concepts as well. There are quite a few threads on this site about the poor practices of and huge problems with EC-Council and their tests.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • jacobdjacobd Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice post ptilsen.I really appreciate such information.It really helped me to improve my idea.Once again thank you for such post.Keep it up.

TAE40110 Certificate IV Upgrade
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Linux assembly, Windows Assembly...would probably be a good start.
    So he says... It was my understanding that assembly was dependent of the architectures instruction set, NOT the OS.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens