Epic Fail: ICND 2 smh...

ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, you'd think 75 minutes would be enough for less than 50 questions. Smh... I understood the information but Cisco is so sneaky with some questions I reread each to ensure I didn't misinterpret it. That'll teach me lol. Wth??? It wasn't that I didn't know what to do. The time limit started catching up with me and for a few questions I just "best-guessed". Too disappointed...
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That'll happen! What are you going to do now?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lab like a mofo lol. I just got home from the test center and I'm in PT right now. At least until my lab finishes powering up. I'd just got my full lab so I could work toward CCNP or CCNA:Security soon. Got a 1760, two 2600s, a 1721, and five 2950s($60). Just need my CCNA. I have an employer that is really interested in hiring me as part of a jr. security admin team. I really want to have my CCNA going into this job. Therefore, I think I'm going to practice timed labs for a week or two and retake while all my studying is still fresh....mostly lol.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What did you score? Just brush it off and study up this next week and reschedule your test as soon as you can.
    Good to hear you're not giving up the ship! Rep earned. Yarr!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Keep at it; Learn from your mistakes. If you've got the right attitude you'll bounce back 100 times stronger! All the best.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I didn't finish my first time either, just study up until your retake and take it down next time! You got this!
  • umarbhattiumarbhatti Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying for my CCNA for 2months now, and i haven't even started labbing yet. I am not to sure when i should sit the exam,
    You should probably be labbing while you read. Helps to make sense of what you're reading :P

^+1 to that one. I scored an 818 and needed an 825! Fml....lol. Oh well. I'll get it the next round icon_thumright.gif

• vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I took ICND 1 and 2 a few times, until I got it. Then I started adding up the cost of the tests and told myself I not wasting any more money. If you can prove you know what your doing in an interview, a piece of paper is still a piece of paper. I have a co-worker at my new job that has years of Cisco experience, knows everything on the CCIE level, but refuses to waste on tests. Words speak louder than certs on a resume. The hiring manager will know if your bullshitting or not.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I agree knowledge is king once your face to face, but sometimes the paper GETS you the interview. Always good to have both!

J
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna give it a shot next week. I remember EVERYTHING I had on the test and have created my own labs in those subjects. Guess I needed a "method" of deduction for resolving the simlets and implementing my solutions. So, I'm off work the next 5 days and I'm gonna spend 8 hours each going over every labbing packet I've acquired! Today I did 10 hours! I want my d*@! CCNA for xmas....lol

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    How the heck do you manage 10 hours of studying? I run out of things to lab and stuff. Could just read the book though.

Going to use another 3750 switch at work for my lab just to come up with more topologies and lab ideas!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
    Easy to manage 10 hours of studying!

"Son of.. what was that command again for MOTDs?"
    *typing*
    "Hm, that's not quite what I expected. I knew there was a different command..."

Until you're dreaming labbing, you're not doing it enough :P

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, you'd think 75 minutes would be enough for less than 50 questions. Smh... I understood the information but Cisco is so sneaky with some questions I reread each to ensure I didn't misinterpret it. That'll teach me lol. Wth??? It wasn't that I didn't know what to do. The time limit started catching up with me and for a few questions I just "best-guessed". Too disappointed...

ICND2 is a test that is predicated on how good of a prep you have done plain and simple. While iCND1 can be done with basic work experience and test questions(imo), you really have to have a succinct author who knows when to talk and when to let you practice(lab) etc. I do not feel either Lammel nor Odom allow you to stop and practice what you read and thus they are ineffective for ICND2 where a good book + knowing WHEN to practice is key and not just reading a bunch of 800 page fluff and "hoping and coping" you understand HOW TO APPLY IT too. Try McQuerry ICND2 book. yes, it is older but it's copyright of 2008 is no older then some of the full study guides that seem to fail or fall short in their promise. And that promise should be you read this book you pass and it's not working for odom and lammel, imo.
    Roguetadhg I second that! The 10 hours was pretty easy actually. The net is full of labs and even better when you create your own scenario. I used a book by O'Reilly called "Cisco Cookbook" as well as "Network Administrator Street Smarts" and "Security Administrator Street Smarts" and created my own labs based off of them. Then, I pick a chapter in Lammle's guide and dissect it. Idk what to say....I'm hungry for this now that I missed it by one question!!!!! I've GOT to have it!

Illumanati wrote: »
    ICND2 is a test that is predicated on how good of a prep you have done plain and simple. While iCND1 can be done with basic work experience and test questions(imo), you really have to have a succinct author who knows when to talk and when to let you practice(lab) etc. I do not feel either Lammel nor Odom allow you to stop and practice what you read and thus they are ineffective for ICND2 where a good book + knowing WHEN to practice is key and not just reading a bunch of 800 page fluff and "hoping and coping" you understand HOW TO APPLY IT too. Try McQuerry ICND2 book. yes, it is older but it's copyright of 2008 is no older then some of the full study guides that seem to fail or fall short in their promise. And that promise should be you read this book you pass and it's not working for odom and lammel, imo.

I've realized that books can be easily summerized into bullets, main points or ideas. For example what can be explained with 4 paragraphs about variables can be summed up for an easier next pass.

Going through these books without writing or typing in something is just going to set you for failure. You just can't remember a damned thing 5 chapters down the road... then you forget and have to re-read... it's a circle of forgetting without taking notes.

Fluff, yes. But the fluff gives depth and meaning to those bullet points whereas you wouldn't be able to start to understand "why" or "where" or even sometimes putting two and two together. I'm not wholely defending the large tomes, because you could drop if it off a 2 story building and maim someone :P Those foundations in CCENT still hold true for higher exams, which is great.

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    great point about taking notes...*duly noted* and the point about fluff..it is my opinion that if the author is succinct, there really isn't any fluff because it all goes to the bottom line of helping the "understanding for the long haul*.. your point about fluff is true but with one exception: if the fluff is not helping you understand then that is when the problem begins because you read fluff and it did not help or add value in your understanding. I will look for fluff that helps me in those foundation you speak of. This is one of the driving forces in me picking up a mint condition ICND2 self study guide by Steve McQuerry. It's ~300 pages so the fluff is limited perhaps even flirting with *not having enough fluff* :P like that is negative *roll eyes* but yeah I also feel like if practicing is in order,the authors should tell you instead of moving on with more fluff and this is where readers drop or off or worse, they have a false sense of confidence and fail an exam *gasp* like that neverr happens righttt... anyway, i think this is very helpful..watch out for the fluff and if its not working, STOP!
    You're right. There is a point where too much is simply too much. I'll argue that most of the writers that write about this stuff aren't English majors with their PhD in English that can condense and trim the fat/fluff.

It's like sitting the CCNA:Voice beside the ICND2 book. The ICND2 book simply Dwarfs the Voice.

I also agree about a 300 page book. I would wonder how they would be able to fit everything: Diagrams, Examples, Explanations, Questions, Introductions... about everything that needs to be covered. I would be wary that it's merely not enough depth at that point. I think 500 pages would be worth while. You might need to read, and do some external homework - Wiki, TechExams, RFCs, Etc on things that just don't seem right or aren't crystal clear. Of course, I haven't read the book so I can't tell you. But I would guess you'll need to do some external fluffing.

By the way: If you ever get lonely Heat up Marshmallow Fluff in the microwave for a few seconds...