Scan state load state questions

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm sitting here, studying for the 70-680 for the second time and I came across confusion.

The book has this in it. It tells me what to do with scanstate:

Log onto the source pc as the migrating user.

Map a drive to the USMT share on the server

Open up CMD and set the path to the mapped USMT share

Im going to type the rest up in a second

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Im going to type the rest up in a second

Why not just type it all before you hit submit...?
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My iPad lags when this website is up.

Run scanstate with the following syntax:

scanstate \\servername\migration\mystore /config:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /l:scan.log

SO, to my understanding, this utilizes the scanstate program and uses the rules in the config.xml, miguser.xml and migapp.xml files for the migration of the settings ONTO the server.

Questions I had are:

What is the file name going to be? I didn't have to specify it.
    Does it absolutely HAVE to be in a folder named \migration\mystore? In the previous step of preparing the server for a USMT the book didn't tell me to create the folder \migration\mystore. Does this command create that folder when the command is typed in?
    Ok so that is the scanstate, here is the loadstate:

Log on destination PC as the local admin
    Map a drive to the USMT share
    Open CMD and set the path to the mapped USMT share

Type the following syntax:

loadstate \\servername\migration\mystore /config:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /lac /law /v:13 /l:load.log

Restart computer and log in as the migrated user.

Ok here is a question in regards to this.

Say that I was deploying USMT with 1000 computers and wanted this automated. How does the destination computer know which profiles I want?

Or is this scenario not done due to the fact that there are roaming profiles and everything is saved onto the server anyway.

Sorry about these stupid questions, but I have 2 weeks to study for my second go around and this is where I got hit the hardest.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    My iPad lags when this website is up.

Run scanstate with the following syntax:

scanstate \\servername\migration\mystore /config:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /l:scan.log

SO, to my understanding, this utilizes the scanstate program and uses the rules in the config.xml, miguser.xml and migapp.xml files for the migration of the settings ONTO the server.

Questions I had are:

What is the file name going to be? I didn't have to specify it.
    Does it absolutely HAVE to be in a folder named \migration\mystore? In the previous step of preparing the server for a USMT the book didn't tell me to create the folder \migration\mystore. Does this command create that folder when the command is typed in?

For the question of whether or not it creates the folder, I couldn't tell you because I always created my folder for holding my migration file. But the folder name you choose to create on your network share (which should be a sub-folder in their example, from within the USMT folder you created and shared) can be anything you decide. It can be mystore (I believe they choose that for simplicity)

So for scanstate \\servername\migration\mystore /config:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /l:scan.log
    \\Servername(for my vm) was Vserv2008-AD
    \migration (was USMT)
    \mystore (was mig-data)

Example scanstate \\Vserv2008-AD\USMT\mig-data

For my xml files, I only used Miguser/MigDocs/Migapp, I knew the theory of how and when config.xml applied, but didn't find it necessary to actually create a config.xml file and run scan state using it as a switch function. My main concern was getting a successful attempt, so I used miguser,migapp...(I later tried it various ways, none of which actually got around to the config.xml...But I do understand the use/concept, and I needed to get moving because I spent FOREVER IN THIS CHAPTER!)

I used the /v:13 to set a logging perimeter as well as /i:scan.log to view the file after it was create on my share.

scanstate \\Vserv2008-AD\USMT\mig-data /i:migapp.xml /i:miguser.xml /v:13 / :l:scan.log. This was successful in pulling over user wallpapers, shortcuts, desktop items, my documents and those library folders, as well as system settings tied into desktop sounds, customization and what not. Basically after doing that it "felt" like my original set up again... just with no applications installed. Kind of like a /oobe /generalize version of sysprep but I can't attest to any driver situation because for most of my items I have not installed them because VM uses a generic version of my mouse/keyboard and gpu drivers. Any way I'm sure that's way too much...

They didn't give you instructions to create the folder, it is implied that you do so, but I did catch that and found that odd,(that they didn't) they usually are sticklers for telling you procedure step by step, but totally make you create it on your own as a practice for setting up network shares and using net use and cmd for navigating to the USMT files.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your second question was beyond the scope of the exam... but for knowledge purposes (This is a good question :D) There are additional switches

LoadState Syntax

/all Migrates all of theusers on the computer.
    USMT migrates all user accounts on the computer, unless you specificallyexclude an account with /ue or /uel. For this reason, you do not need tospecify this option on the command line. However, if you choose to specify/all, you cannot also specify /ui, /ue or /uel

/ui:DomainName\UserNameor
    /ui:DomainName\"User Name"
    or
    /ui:LocalUserName

Migrates the specified user(s). By default, all users are included in the migration. Therefore, this option is only helpful when used with /ue or /uel. You can specify multiple /ui options, but you cannot use /ui with /all.DomainName and UserName can contain the asterisk (*) wildcard character. When you specify a user name that contains spaces, you will need to surround it with quotes......

The link also provides other options that include excluding users by various methods as well.
    Ah nice.

Thanks a bunch dude! Makes a lot of sense now. I feel as if 25% of my questions on the exam were about this stuff and I completely failed it.

Got 500 out of 1000 points.