Options

How did you prepare for Linux+?

zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
For those of you that have passed the Linux+/LPIC-1 exam, how did you prepare for it? I've been taking the Network+/NetworkPro course from TestOut, and just passed my NetworkPro exam today. I'm about to schedule a test date for my Net+ exam, which i'm feeling very confident about.

The next cert i was wanting to get is the Linux+ and i was considering buying the course from TestOut. My question is: Have any of you prepared for the course using TestOut's LabSims, or did you just buy a text book and start studying?

Comments

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Firstly CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI Certification download the latest objectives and print a hard copy.

Secondly Linux+ Roderick Smith book can't go wrong with this book, very informative

Third get a machine setup with both Debian and a red hat based distro you need hands on experience of understanding Apt, dpkg, Yum, Rpm so by having access to both variants of distro you will get the best of both worlds.

Fourth install either keepnote or evernote create various notes on the exam objectives i,.e

101 System Architecture
    101.1 Determine and Configure hardware settings
    • Enable and disable integrated peripherals.
    • Configure systems with or without external peripherals such as keyboards.
    • Differentiate between the various types of mass storage devices.
    • Set the correct hardware ID for different devices, especially the boot device.
    • Know the differences between coldplug and hotplug devices.
    • Determine hardware resources for devices.
    • Tools and utilities to list various hardware information (e.g. lsusb, lspci, etc.).
    • Tools and utilities to manipulate USB devices.
    • Conceptual understanding of sysfs, udev, hald, dbus.
    • The following is a partial list of the used files, terms, and utilities:
    o /sys
    o /proc
    o /dev
    o modprobe
    o lsmod
    o lspci
    o lsusb

Then make notes next to each section i.e lspci what it does

Fifth - get hands on with each command and get used to using them with various switches, make sure
    you are comfortable reading man pages, and interrupting output of cat commands i.e cat /proc/interrupts

Practice practice practice until you become very familiar with the command line, So that when you are faced with a question like " what command is used to change run levels"

You will retain the information and can interrupt any command or log without referring to the book or man pages.

Lastly enjoy it :) and when using the roderick book although he goes on about how hard disks work i.e platters, BIOS boot order and stuff don't focus to much on this get down to the meat and potatoes and get the commands and configuration down :)

Good luck
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Lastly enjoy it :) and when using the roderick book although he goes on about how hard disks work i.e platters, BIOS boot order and stuff don't focus to much on this get down to the meat and potatoes and get the commands and configuration down :)

Good luck

Wow! thank you so much for all of this! I was beginning to think no one would ever reply.
    That was a much more thorough answer than i was expecting. I'll definitely do that though. I really appreciate that :)