CCDA cleared... a perspective

SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
Sat the test and passed this morning. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea for sure, given it's approach is designing an optimal network rather than just getting down an dirty and building it from scratch using the CLI. Needless to say I was itching to get back to the command prompt.

I studied about three months for this using mainly Michael Shannon's CBT nuggets and the OCG. It's theory heavy and threw in a lot of material that I would have thought would be more in like with the CCNA Data Center track. Who knows, they might with the next iteration. Since I've already cleared ROUTE and SWITCH, I figure I might as well attempt the ARCH and go for the CCDP. From what I hear, that's where a lot of the fun is. If you've got the time and determination, I say go for the CCDA. If you like to play in the IOS sandbox, stick with the R&S, Security, or Voice tracks.
Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Somnipotent - congrats on getting the CCDA! How do you guys manage to knock out unrelated certifications while doing a degree?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Somnipotent. I got my DA two months ago and just got my DP last Friday :)

I found the DA very dry and difficult to get through. The DP coursework is a lot more interesting once you get past the first two chapters of ARCH (and Switch and Route ;)).
    There's a lot more in ARCH and it has a fair bit of the fancy stuff like Nexus, IPv6, VPNs and meatier designing. Once you keep your interest up, it goes down nicely.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    MickQ wrote: »
    Congrats Somnipotent. I got my DA two months ago and just got my DP last Friday :)

I found the DA very dry and difficult to get through. The DP coursework is a lot more interesting once you get past the first two chapters of ARCH (and Switch and Route ;)).
    There's a lot more in ARCH and it has a fair bit of the fancy stuff like Nexus, IPv6, VPNs and meatier designing. Once you keep your interest up, it goes down nicely.

Good deal! I'm glossing over the material now. Definitely looks "meatier" than the DA material. Looking forward to fleshing out the tidbits gleaned from the DA course work.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Congrats Somni! How helpful was having R/S for the CCDA? Do you think you would have passed without it?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Congrats Somni! How helpful was having R/S for the CCDA? Do you think you would have passed without it?

I found them extremely valuable. There are a lot of NP level concepts that are covered with an understanding that you've already crossed that bridge. While I think the OCG was pretty good at covering a lot of the exam materials, having the background did help a lot. Could I have passed? Not sure. I didn't fail though :). I used Michael Shannon's DESGN nuggets but I can't say for sure if it really helped me any. Michael's stuff really doesn't do it for me... I used him for Security+ and CCNA Sec and I'm not sure if it's the material or what but I couldn't keep (stay) up. I'm glad I took this test though, I'm one test away to CCDP and my second Cisco PRO cert. Good luck on your studies!
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    The CCDP requires CCNP level ROUTE and SWITCH anyway so its almost the same, except better, since ARCH is useful as described above, whereas TSHOOT is an absolute joke to anyone with a few years real life network experience.

I see no reason for anyone not to knock over their CCDP once they achieve their CCNP R&S and vice versa, though CCDA is incredibly boring (once again if you've got a few years under your belt, you know all the CCDA level stuff intuitively, its not until ARCH that the interesting / higher level stuff is thrown at you).

Conversely although the material for ARCH is excellent (in my opinion, and especially if you view it in vendor neutral terms instead of assuming a FW is an ASA and the LB is an ACE lol) the exam is sadly tailored for our favourite species, the fake brain dumpers. Instead of asking questions directly, they should assume the person is a designer and put a scenario in front of you WITHOUT explicitly stating the factors to consider then seeing what you come up with, and why. (kinda like my dream world scenario where CCNP level exams have no theory and is just a giant lab sim, like an easier CCIE lab sim lol, sort out 90% of the dumpers in an instant).

Overall an excellent course, but CCDA is a bit of a pain in the behind.
  • sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations