Update on the ITIL V3 Refresh Timetable

Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
Happy New Year to everyone!

You might have heard the ITIL V3 books are being refreshed to improve consistency and clarity.

For those of you that are tracking it, you can read more about how the refresh is progressing here:

ITIL Update: positive feedback from the first public review

Comments

• Sivakumar SubramanianSivakumar Subramanian Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

I am new to this forum not sure how to create a seperate post that's why I am replying back to this one sorry.
    I have completed my ITIL v3 Foundation and curretnly working as MIM (Major incidnet manager) in one of the IT companies for USAA. My job here is to open a confrence call engage tech teams and drive the call to achivie RTS(return to service).
    My question : I have completed ITIL V3 foundation certification and currently dont have any guidance on what should I do next and where my carrer is going? currently my job requires me to do night shifts with which I am not comfortable, looking in the possiblity of looking for a new job hope fully which has a day shift. I am an computer science engineering graduate and I dont have experince in software development since I am working in ITIL Enviorment for the past 1 and half years I am not sure on what kind of a job I should be looking for or What certification I must do to make my profile more valuable. Please advice me on this I am very much in need of a guidance icon_sad.gif

Thanks
    Sivakumar Subramanain
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Sivakumar

The first step for you is to decide where you want your career to go. Does a technical role appeal to you? Service management? Project management? Try taking a look at local job listings and descriptions and see what appeals to you. You can then use that to decide on the best certification path to support your goals.

An ITIL qualification is good and you can take the higher level ones, but first you need to know if they are relevant for your long term goals. Service Operation or Operational Support and Analysis training would fit with the role you currently have, but there are other certs that might be better for the job you want in the future.

Kind regards

Claire
  • Sivakumar SubramanianSivakumar Subramanian Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,
    Thanks for replying back. I have decided to proceed my Career in ITIL enviornment since I am already working in Incident management and have gained some experince, knowledge in it I dont want that to be wasted by going in for a technical role. Please guide me what should I go for Service management or Project management does this require more experince I currently have an overall experince of 2years and 3 months. IF so you have mentioned Service Operation or Operational Support and Analysis training would fit with my current role which one should I pursue. Can I have your email address I will send in my resume if you can take a look into it tell which one would be more sutiable for me

Thanks
    sivakumar Subramanian
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Sivakumar

Project management and service management are both interesting areas - both require experience and training so which is best for you will depend on what you want to do.

Send me a DM and I'll give you my email address, I'm happy to take a look at your resume but most of the decisions you take will depend on your career choices rather than any advice I can give.

Kind regards

Claire