Illegal to unlock locked carrier phones!

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Unauthorized unlocking of smartphones becomes illegal Saturday | Crave - CNET

Thought I'd leave this tasty tidbit of information for us techies.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess I can see the point where you do have choices in purchasing unlocked phones, consumers just don't like paying full price for them. On the other hand I thought people unlock phones after they are off contract if they want to move carriers (if they can)?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    https://ting.com/ I do not thing they will care. It's over the Sprint network.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    That story is misleading. The way I understand it is that unlocking and moving to another carrier is illegal without permission. The story makes it sound like jailbreaking / rooting a phone is not illegal which simply isn't the case.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Saw the article and then came here to see what was being said.

Unlocking Phones Without Carrier Permission Now Illegal - Bonnie Cha - Mobile - AllThingsD

I haven't read the law, but it does sound that it is only illegal to unlock and then move to another carrier. I really don't see how they can say this. If I buy a toaster, I'm more than capable of taking it apart and changing how it works. Why wouldn't the same be true for a phone? I bought it fair and square and now it is mine to do what I see fit with.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Imran_HaiderImran_Haider Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That story is misleading. The way I understand it is that unlocking and moving to another carrier is illegal without permission. The story makes it sound like jailbreaking / rooting a phone is not illegal which simply isn't the case.

Yup. That looks like Code breaking is jail breaking. lolzz
    anyhow they can't make law like this because people use code breaking when they are in different country... etc....

There is company unlock and personal unlocking ways.... (2nd option not allows full features...)
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it would be hard for them to get anything to hold up in court if they were to take someone to trial for this. It is perfectly legal to get a phone on contract and turn around and resell it. The person is still liable for the contract even though they don't have the phone. The contract is on the service not the phone itself.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I've read it's when you get a phone with a contract. If you pay for the phone outright [Full Price], it's alright. However, if you go down to the local Verizon store, pick up an iPhone subsidized (Verizon picks up the majority of the phone cost), you're forbidden to unlock it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    I think it would be hard for them to get anything to hold up in court if they were to take someone to trial for this. It is perfectly legal to get a phone on contract and turn around and resell it. The person is still liable for the contract even though they don't have the phone. The contract is on the service not the phone itself.

While you own the physical hardware, you do not own software, like windows it is a licence model and like with most software is is protected under law. In the same way as, reverse engineering windows, or bypassing the authentication system can land you in trouble, so can making changes to the software code running on your hand set. You know the bit of the licence agreement that goes "no part of this code my be copied or altered with out prior agreement....". This is a nice blanket clause that has very few loopholes, and if the carriers and manufactures don't want you to unlock the phone then all they have to do is insure that the code that locks/unlocks the handset is covered by this licence agreement.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.