Options

Best tips for going through the 642 training kit book?

zombie fredzombie fred Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I've gone through all the book on the training kit now, and done the practical tests at least once, and also used video reference of CBT nuggest. I plan to spend about 2-3 hours a day on going through the practice tests again and memorise all key terms and so fourth. You think 4-6 weeks of this is the best thing to do and then take the mock exams? I'm pretty well logical minded but it's just making sure it's like muscle memory and you can easily recognise all key terms and syntax commands for the specific parts (plus the slash notation table) :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you done any lab work? Memorizing terms and watching nuggets are great but I've (likely) gotten many questions right by remembering something I quickly clicked through in a lab. I'm lucky to have an ESXi server in my house but you could use vmware player or virtual box to spin up some trials of 2008 R2. I think there are labs in the training kit so maybe you already have done this.

Also print a copy of the objectives and go through the sticky thread. Make sure you would be comfortable setting the stuff up. Is second shot available in England? If so register and get a look at the live test. The things you know are important from work likely won't get you far sitting at the exam PC. Use a whiteboard to keep track of the question topics (IPv6, NPS, NAP, etc). That way you get an idea of the balance of the exam. You can't count on that same layout if you don't pass but it can help some.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    All of tbree00's suggestions are great.

Definitely make sure you lab, lab, lab. Get comfortable with all of the labs, and maybe do them more than once. Knowing the answers to practice questions is a good goal, but (in my experience) the labs is what will make a difference when it comes to pass/fail.
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Have you done any lab work? Memorizing terms and watching nuggets are great but I've (likely) gotten many questions right by remembering something I quickly clicked through in a lab. I'm lucky to have an ESXi server in my house but you could use vmware player or virtual box to spin up some trials of 2008 R2. I think there are labs in the training kit so maybe you already have done this.

Also print a copy of the objectives and go through the sticky thread. Make sure you would be comfortable setting the stuff up. Is second shot available in England? If so register and get a look at the live test. The things you know are important from work likely won't get you far sitting at the exam PC. Use a whiteboard to keep track of the question topics (IPv6, NPS, NAP, etc). That way you get an idea of the balance of the exam. You can't count on that same layout if you don't pass but it can help some.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    zombie fredzombie fred Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I have done the lab practises in the book but will be going through them a lot now and will also have a play around on such things and make notes on the key terms labelled with them :) Also will do the suggestions of lab works they suggest on trying for cases. I use oracle vm on an external hard drive that has all my virtual stuff for my PC so going around on the two computers (work and home) on doing them is not a problem ^^ I am looking at 2-3 hours a day of these for 4-6 weeks :)
  • Options
    PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I have done the lab practises in the book but will be going through them a lot now and will also have a play around on such things and make notes on the key terms labelled with them :) Also will do the suggestions of lab works they suggest on trying for cases. I use oracle vm on an external hard drive that has all my virtual stuff for my PC so going around on the two computers (work and home) on doing them is not a problem ^^ I am looking at 2-3 hours a day of these for 4-6 weeks :)

I have my Oracle Virtualbox on an external drive. Is it really possible to just plug the drive into different computers and they work fine? Thanks for the reply