Just Passed A+, Thoughts

rwdplzrwdplz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just passed the CompTIA A+ 220-702, took the 220-701 earlier, wanted to see if I even had a prayer of passing before I paid for two exams.

I used the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ Fourth Edition , which specifically covers the 220-701 and 220-702, which is why I took the older exams, I read the book almost cover to cover before I figured out there were newer versions out now, the 800 series. I found the book covered roughly half of what I saw on the exams, the rest I had to rely on previous knowledge.

One thing that has been bothering me, the book specifically stated the exams had no info on Windows 7, just through Vista. This was great for me, because I've been using Vista since it came out, and upgraded to 8 the day that came out (BIG mistake, BTW). However, the exams had several questions specifically on 7. Were these unscored questions, or ...?

I was a little disappointed the scores were in the 700's range on both, but I still passed. Now I just need to figure out how to get my certificate. I think I have to wait 5 days, and I get the information in an email if I'm reading the site correctly?

Comments

• Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious, what do you mean the book only covered half of what was on the exam? I understand about the NDA you sign but if you could explain vaguely? I am read Mike Meyers book and re-reading along with Professor Messor's videos and the CompTIA A+ Exam cram for the 701-702 series. I feel these three are great sources along with my new job at a help desk to set me up to pass this exam. I plan on taking on the 23rd.

As none of these materials cover windows 7, I work in a windows 7 environment and utilize XP and Vista in my home. I'm just hoping that i am getting enough knowledge and experience to pass and get certified.
  • rwdplzrwdplz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Rosco2382 wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you mean the book only covered half of what was on the exam?

Only about half of the material I read in the book, was on the exam. About half of it were things I know I didn't read about, but have encountered in real life before fixing computers. I wish I could go into specifics, but they're very serious about the non-disclosure agreement. The advice to study printers was definitely helpful. There were a LOT of questions on networking and DOS commands, to the point where I wonder if I should have pursued Network+ or CCENT first, which I planned on studying for next.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the Myers book, too, so I also read that there would be no windows 7 questions on the 700 exams. I figured I should take that with a grain of salt. I guarantee you those questions were graded. In fact, I think all the questions are graded with the exception of the survey questions.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Windows 7 and ipv6 were added to the 700 exam series after mike Meyers all in one 7th edition was published.
  • pgp01pgp01 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass !!
    This does not seem correct,.."I used the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ Fourth Edition , which specifically covers the 220-701 and 220-702"... I have edition 7 of the All in one which covers 220-701,702. Are you talking about the Passport??
    Yes, Mike Meyers' Certification Passport, CompTIA A+, Fourth Edition.
  • TorontoTechTorontoTech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Curious as to why anyone acquires the A+ certification these days, personally from what I see, it's not really recognized as an "in demand" cert
    I went through 100 job listings for IT positions in this area, and 8 of them listed A+ as required or preffered. The most popular seemed to be CCNA or CCNP, and various Microsoft certifications. I figured A+, Network+ and Security+ would be good places to start before CCENT and CCNA, and Microsoft Server 2008 MCSA.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the exam!

What's next Windows Vista or Windows 8 or maybe the CCNA?
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, rwdplz. Keep studying for more!

TorontoTech, I haven't researched today's market for PC tech jobs, but A+ was in demand when I got my start years ago. Of any CompTIA certs, I'd say it's the most recognized by employers. I work with about 8 desktop techs who aren't A+ certified, and almost all of them could use the study time to enhance their knowledge in order to perform their jobs a lot better.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass. Bryzey is on target with his answer. The original 700 series exam objectives from CompTIA did not include Windows 7 but CompTIA modified the objectives in mid-stream without changing the numbering. This has caused a lot of confusion for many people because of two versions of the exam objectives both numbered the same. The book you used was written for the original objectives.

Your plan of A+, Network+, and Security+ will help you build a solid foundation of IT knowledge before you start specializing with a specific vendor such as Cisco or Microsoft.

Good luck with your next adventure.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • pgp01pgp01 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    The original 700 series exam objectives from CompTIA did not include Windows 7 but CompTIA modified the objectives in mid-stream without changing the numbering. This has caused a lot of confusion for many people because of two versions of the exam objectives both numbered the same. The book you used was written for the original objectives..

This does not seem like a good thing to do, it would/could cause people to fail, an entry level exam. (More $ for Comptia) If one got the correct books when they came out and did not study right away it could be a problem. It always good to reference the objectives from time to time.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I think comptia did their due dilligance when it came to the update. Comptia updated the objectives on their website and publushed a press release i believe.

Anyone taking the exam has the responsibility of knowing what's in the exam.