RHCE for Linux Jobs With No Degree

ZombieNo7ZombieNo7 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to break into the IT world, but I don't currently have a college degree. I do have a substantial amount of Linux experience. How far would an RHCE cert go without a BS in IT or CS?

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can go quite a ways with experience and an RHCE, quite frankly. The Linux side of the IT house tends to be less focused on credentials - like degrees and even certs - and more focused on what your skillset is and how much experience you have. The RHCE is a rare exception, being fairly high-value in the eyes of hiring managers and HR departments. All in all, you can't really go wrong having it on your resume if you're involved in Linux-related work.

As an aside, my primary function is a Windows and applications admin. Every job I've held since 2005 has listed a four-year degree as a requirement in the description. . . I'm hoping to knock out a Bachelor's in the near future, perhaps in the next few years. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You can go quite a ways with experience and an RHCE, quite frankly. The Linux side of the IT house tends to be less focused on credentials - like degrees and even certs - and more focused on what your skillset is and how much experience you have.
    What he said.

I think you'll have a much better chance of landing some Linux admin job than your competitor with a degree and no real experience.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs