Group A Points

Jake007Jake007 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
What are you guys doing for your Group A, points? I'm attending CISSP local chapter meetings thats 2 points, each month they submit those for me, but are there any web sites you guys use for hitting the other Domains for points... My Group B points are taken care of.

Thanks

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Security-related conferences and workshops make up the bulk of my Group A's.
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Hi Jake, when you log on to the ISC2 website, there is a section on CPEs called CPE Opportunities, might be worth having a read there cause I have managed to pick up some points there on how to get some easy CPE credits. PM me if you can't find the section and I will point you in the right direction.
  • Jake007Jake007 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah i been to that section but that is really geared towards Group B, besides attending local chapter meetings, Conferences, i'm just trying to see what other options online that are available.
    Found a few easy ways to get some Group A points, We may need to set up a List for Group A and B points so people can have a one stop shop location for places and resources to get the CPE's.
    I think we started a thread like that many years ago. If you want to post a list, post it to a new thread named "CPE opportunities". If we get some good contributions to it, I'll make it a sticky.
    I will do that Thanks,....
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Check out the e-Symposiums on the (ISC)2 website. They are once a month, and good for 3 CPE credits.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Taking the ISC2 Quiz for the published Magazine they have counts as Group A correct?
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Humbe wrote: »
    Taking the ISC2 Quiz for the published Magazine they have counts as Group A correct?

Yes, they are group A.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Teaching at BlackHat is how I'll get all my Group As for this year.

Yes, Ive done this BUT you can only use this for 8 points.. not all 20.. that equates to only 4 Quizes.
    Check out the e-Symposiums on the (ISC)2 website. They are once a month, and good for 3 CPE credits.

Yeah I saw these, ill check these out.
    Jake007 wrote: »
    Yes, Ive done this BUT you can only use this for 8 points.. not all 20.. that equates to only 4 Quizes.

What do you mean?

You can take all quizzes for the magazines and add them as CPE..
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    What do you mean?

I believe I read that you can only count the quizes for the magazines only a certain amount of times per year. (unfortunately). There is no limit for the e-symposium is there?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I think we started a thread like that many years ago. If you want to post a list, post it to a new thread named "CPE opportunities". If we get some good contributions to it, I'll make it a sticky.

This would be great to help everyone with cpe's!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
    mog27 wrote: »
    I believe I read that you can only count the quizes for the magazines only a certain amount of times per year. (unfortunately). There is no limit for the e-symposium is there?

I'll have to google that..
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228

"Members can earn five CPE credits, limited to one book per year and one

authorized magazine subscription per year, for a total of ten CPE credits per year."

Quick CPE question. I've read the guidelines but I didn't see anything specific to earning certifications. Would these just count as book CPE credits?

For example, I passed the Sec+ after the CISSP. How do I rate this toward my CPE credits? Also, say I grab Linux+, CEH, or some other industry cert. Do they count the same, or even at all?
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My understanding is that passing the cert doesn't matter, but that you can count the study time as CPE credits.
  • ssehgssehg Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check official ISC2 site for ways to get CPEs.
    Group A Credits: Direct Information Security
    Domains of the (ISC)2 CBK
    • Access Control
    • Telecommunications & Network Security
    • Information Security Governance & Risk
    Management
    • Software Development Security
    • Cryptography
    • Security Architecture & Design
    • Operations Security
    • Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
    Planning
    • Legal, Regulations, Investigations and
    Compliance
    • Physical (Environmental) Security
    Group B Credits: Suggested Categories of
    General Professional Development Activities
    • Management courses
    • Interpersonal communications skills
    • Interviewing techniques
    • Team development skills
    • Project planning activities
    • Technical skills not in information security
    – such as programming languages and
    techniques
    • Accounting Courses

You are correct here is the info directly off ISC2:

InfoSecurity Professional magazine is (ISC)²’s online, members-only magazine. This magazine will allow members to earn two (2) CPE credits per issue (up to eight CPEs for four issues annually.) In order to earn eight (icon_cool.gif CPEs, members must complete and pass the online quiz associated with each issue of this magazine. Members must submit their credits on the (ISC)² website. Please be sure to retain all certificates for the successful completion of the quizzes, as CPE’s will be subject to random audit.
    What do you mean?

Humbe, this is Incorrect see my above post.
    Jake007 wrote: »
    Humbe, this is Incorrect see my above post.

Im willing to bet there are lots who have done more than 4 quizes a year and have not read the CPE requirements from ISC2. I too would have assumed you can take as many as you want.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

Mog27

you are right about this until they get audited.. Just want to pass on the right information we all don't read everything BUT when it comes to CPE I read all of it. I'm not trying to get caught doing anything wrong or have CPE's taken away.
  • LobLob Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wes allen wrote: »
    My understanding is that passing the cert doesn't matter, but that you can count the study time as CPE credits.
    To clarify this further and from the ISC2 themselves, you can claim the time for studying to the equivalent of a course (so 2/3/5 days or whatever) and you can do so even if self-studying.Example: you want to do CISM, CISA and you'd take a 5 day course or do self-study, you can claim the 5 days as CPEs and claim As for them as they're security-related. Key points are making sure you match the claim to what a course would be and that it's security-related (one or more domains).
    I got a question. I saw this on some other site as a good way to earn CPEs, but I scratched my head when I saw it: Can you count martial arts classes as CPEs to qualify for the Physical Security domain? Has anyone done that?

Are martial arts described in the physical security section of the CISSP CIB or in the physical security chapter of the CISSP OIG?

Nice try anyway. ;)