Windows > RHCSA

FluxFlux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I thought id start of with introducing myself with some background, my name is Andy and I am a Windows sysadmin, I have been doing my role for about 8 years now. Using Windows since 2003 Server to 2008 R2, I Manage the entire Windows infrastructure and Exchange server at present and have also been on Cisco ICDN1 and ICDN2 training modules (Not taken the Exam).

I have never taken any certification with Microsoft and never really been that interested in doing so, I plan on taking the MTA Server Fundamentals by the end of next month which I don't think will be a problem for me.

I am seeing more and more jobs on the market that require Linux and Windows combined and this does interest me very much.

I've worked with CentOS for the last 6 years for my personal website on a VPS and have managed to workout the basics including installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, securing SSH and performance tweaks.

Does this sound like I am able to work towards a RHCSA realistically in 6 months doing classroom led training on both RH124 & RH134?

I am keen to hear any tips and advise you may have on working towards a RHCSA, my long term goal would be to work towards the RHCE within 16 Months, I can devote about 30 Minutes each day and about 2 hours on the weekend. (excludes the 5 and 4 day instructor led training which I would take annual leave to complete.

Regards

Comments

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    sounds like the RHCSA is the path for you then. your experience is excellent for this kind of cert, it is very realistic to get to RHCE In 16 months, maybe even less. depends how much you are dedicated
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    30 Minutes a day is not enough in my opinion. I would sugest to drop the 30 minutes a day and boost the week end time (6-7 hours). 30 minutes is not enough to get a good grasp on things. But this is just me, maybe you're smarter (now pwn intended). But from my experience with any exams I've taken in this life I got more when the more study time is linked together. I think the things get more easy into your head when you take your time.

16 MOnths seems realistic though.

My schedule was this: 1h - 1h30 each evening (maybe less if I was having an easy day at work) and 8-12 hours each week end. Maybe I was overcomitted but I've paid for the exams from my own pocket and I didnt want to take any chances (around here each exam is around 2 minimum monthly wages so it's not cheap).

Anyway, good luck and have fun doing it.
  • FluxFlux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    log32 wrote: »
    sounds like the RHCSA is the path for you then. your experience is excellent for this kind of cert, it is very realistic to get to RHCE In 16 months, maybe even less. depends how much you are dedicated
    Good start
    Bodanel wrote: »
    30 Minutes a day is not enough in my opinion. I would sugest to drop the 30 minutes a day and boost the week end time (6-7 hours). 30 minutes is not enough to get a good grasp on things. But this is just me, maybe you're smarter (now pwn intended). But from my experience with any exams I've taken in this life I got more when the more study time is linked together. I think the things get more easy into your head when you take your time.

16 MOnths seems realistic though.

My schedule was this: 1h - 1h30 each evening (maybe less if I was having an easy day at work) and 8-12 hours each week end. Maybe I was overcomitted but I've paid for the exams from my own pocket and I didnt want to take any chances (around here each exam is around 2 minimum monthly wages so it's not cheap).

Anyway, good luck and have fun doing it.
    I will also be paying for these out my own pocket, with each exam being £400 its not cheap at all and the extra hours seems like a good idea to ensure I pass and not fail, do you know if a retry costs the same?
    I will try and put more hours in over the weekend but cant commit to many hours with other volunteering jobs I do. I guess I will just extend the timeline if needed
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont know the costs of the retry exams, I've passed first time on both exams altough the RHCSA was a close one.I've paid the equivalent of 400 euro for each exams. If you already have a stable job I suggest you take your time. If all things go well this year will see RHEL 7 released and you will be ready to take the exam on that. Beta is expected before mid year so you can plan accordingly
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I think that Red Hat produces new exams only after the final release of a version, until then, it's still RHEL6.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Flux wrote: »

I've worked with CentOS for the last 6 years for my personal website on a VPS and have managed to workout the basics including installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, securing SSH and performance tweaks.

... doing classroom led training on both RH124 & RH134?

^^ most definitely a realistic goal. Your experience + the instructor led training will make all the difference. Practice a lot, and the class room training will provide you with the topics to focus on while studying.

Good luck and welcome to the forums icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE