Security+ or Cisco security first?

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just passed my ICND1 and am now preparing for my ICND2.
I want to go the security path. I was thinking of studying for the Security+ at the same time I'm studying for my CCNA to get Security+ cert a bit before my CCNA.

Now I'm not sure if I'd rather should get my CCNA and than the CCNA Security and just leave Security+ aside?

What do you think?

Thank you,
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think you should continue your present momentum and get the CCNA and CCNA Security certs, and also pick up a Security+ book to use for your CCNA Security studies. The Security+ cert has excellent recognition by many employers, and it's information is found on many generalize InfoSec exams, so it's worth getting as well.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I think you should continue your present momentum and get the CCNA and CCNA Security certs, and also pick up a Security+ book to use for your CCNA Security studies. The Security+ cert has excellent recognition by many employers, and it's information is found on many generalize InfoSec exams, so it's worth getting as well.

Hi JDMurray,

thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the book:
    CompTIA Security+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware by Sybex?

I'm asking because it doesn't have very good reviews on Amazon.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson's book, the best book on the market for SY0-301 plus he takes the time out to help you on this forum and his!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    Try to avoid books that are designed mostly to help people pass the exams, and instead favor the tomes with thicker detail that explains the information covered in the certification's objectives. The Pearson Certification Security+ series is a good one to look at.
    Try to avoid books that are designed mostly to help people pass the exams, and instead favor the tomes with thicker detail that explains the information covered in the certification's objectives. The Pearson Certification Security+ series is a good one to look at.

I see there is a SYO-301 and a SYO-201 edition. Is there a difference or is the 301 just the more recent one?
    Or is it built upon each other?
    SYO-301 is the current Security+ exam. You should familiarize yourself with the details and objectives of the Security+ exam and start reading through TechExams.net's Security+ discussion forum.
    SYO-301 is the current Security+ exam. You should familiarize yourself with the details and objectives of the Security+ exam and start reading through TechExams.net's Security+ discussion forum.

Thank you!
    Before I place my order, is this the book you mentioned : CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Cert Guide, Deluxe Edition 2nd Edition: Amazon.ca: David L. Prowse: Books