Suggestions for CEH Laptop

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I was thinking about getting a small laptop for pentesting that I could either dual boot Backtrack and Windows 7, or boot Backtrack and run Windows in a VM.

I'd like to keep it around $200 or $250. $300 would be pushing it. I've been spending some time looking at chromebooks, but I'm not sure if it would work or not.

If you have any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are you using for your current laptop / pc?
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • sionsion Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you can find one, the Samsung n110 netbook is great. Fully supported in linux and windows and the wireless nic supports packet injection. I'm currently dual booting BT 5 R3 (soon to be replaced with Kali) and win xp. Amazon.com: Samsung N110-12PBK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 6 Cell Battery (9.5 Hours): Computers & Accessories
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    What are you using for your current laptop / pc?
    Right now I have a desktop pavilion i5, 8 GB ram, 1 terabyte hd, 512 MB graphics card, with Windows 7 (nothing special...).
    sion wrote: »
    If you can find one, the Samsung n110 netbook is great. Fully supported in linux and windows and the wireless nic supports packet injection. I'm currently dual booting BT 5 R3 (soon to be replaced with Kali) and win xp. Amazon.com: Samsung N110-12PBK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 6 Cell Battery (9.5 Hours): Computers & Accessories
    Nice suggestion... but darn if it isn't tough to find!
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I use a netbook similar to sion - I have an Asus 1001p that I recently upgraded to Kali. The onboard wifi works great in network and monitor mode and has a few usb ports for things like bluetooth adapters and an additional wifi dongle. They also fit pretty well in to your budget. I dropped a new SSD in to it a few months ago and managed to squeeze a little bit more battery life out of it. My only beef with it is that because it's an Atom based machine, some tasks can cause it to hang for a little bit. But overall, it works like a champ for doing intermediate level pentesting and vulnerability analysis.

Amazon.com: Asus Eee PC 1001P-MU17-BK 10.1-Inch Intel Atom Netbook Computer (Black): Computers & Accessories
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not use VirtualBox or VMware on your current computer instead of buying a new computer?
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    There is a Kali (the new Backtrack) build for the Samsung Chromebook running on an ARM architecture ($300). See www.kali.org
    Very cool! Just checking to see if anybody has any other suggestions.

(Also, isn't the Samsung laptop $250?)
    Why not use VirtualBox or VMware on your current computer instead of buying a new computer?
    I kind of would like it to be mobile - that way I could actually use it in the field.
    Looking deeper into it... looks like I need to figure out if the wireless adapter supports packet injection too... hmmmm...
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Or you can just buy an Alfa usb wireless adapter if you really need to.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.