Options

Sorry for the noob question but...

craigc84craigc84 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

So I have just started to go through CBT Nuggets, the first step on my path to CCNET/CCNA. I am really enjoying it so far and I'm about put a lab put together at home, I'm starting to acquire some switches and routers from ebay, just waiting on delivery :).

Im just wondering....
How/what do you plug in to your switches/routers
I dont mean what switch to plug into what router with what kind of cable. I mean what do you plug in to simulate a PC/Server on the network?

Do you guys have a few laptops plugged in at either end of you networks or have a PC with multiple network cards with Virtual Machines running?

I hope this isnt a stupid question

Cheers
Craig

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually don't use any hosts when labbing. You can generate traffic from your routers if needed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can create loopback interfaces on the routers and use the extended ping command to test your connectivity.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    You can create loopback interfaces on the routers and use the extended ping command to test your connectivity.

Best idea.
    I use loopback interfaces to test connectivity. And @OP: if you really want, then you can use virtualbox/vmware guest OS as a host. ;)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    TheKirklanderTheKirklander Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    craigc84 wrote: »
    Hi All,

So I have just started to go through CBT Nuggets, the first step on my path to CCNET/CCNA. I am really enjoying it so far and I'm about put a lab put together at home, I'm starting to acquire some switches and routers from ebay, just waiting on delivery :).

Im just wondering....
    How/what do you plug in to your switches/routers
    I dont mean what switch to plug into what router with what kind of cable. I mean what do you plug in to simulate a PC/Server on the network?

Do you guys have a few laptops plugged in at either end of you networks or have a PC with multiple network cards with Virtual Machines running?

I hope this isnt a stupid question

Cheers
    Craig

Currently I am using a server with a bit of extra memory so, I configure Virtualbox to use one of the hardware ports and then the VM's function similar to a physical machine. If you want to go one step up, you can configure GNS3 with your router configs and perform all necessary networking from the virtual machines through GNS3 all without powering on a piece of gear.
  • Options
    mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    all the prior answers are perfectly fine, but I had to chime in b/c i worry you may be as clueless as I was when I started.
    it was hard for me to wrap my head around all these other methods. i know i felt like i need a computer on each side, and couldnt figure out how to connect to my fios connection. it took a while to understand you don't need any of that.

if you are brand new to networking, find an older, crappy computer lying around. got an old desktop laying around, or a laptop with a broken keyboard? anything like that will do until you figure out what you are doing.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »

^^^^what he said
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I connected my lab equipment into my home network, which allows me to Telnet from my laptop. Theoretically, I could even forward some ports [on my home router] and connect remotely [using IPv4]. But, what I'd really like to do is get IPv6 working (though I suspect the 2950 Switches may not support it) so that I can give each of them their own globally routable (2601icon_mad.gifxxxicon_mad.gifxxxicon_mad.gifxxx::/64) IPv6 address [as Comcast just recently deployed IPv6 in my area.]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    craigc84craigc84 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions guys :)