Another how to prep for RHCSA (EX200) thread

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would like to get my RHCSA, I have been using Linuix off and on and more heavily recently. I am pretty comfortable with basic administration. I won't be able to attend any of the official classes because of the cost, however my company will pay for books and the exam. I was thinking about getting the three books below and also creating a lab.

Are there any legitimate (non-bran ****) practice exams that can be purchased?

Can someone give me a general idea of how much studying is involved or how hard the exam is? I know this is different for everyone but I'm just trying to get an idea on this.

Red Hat Certified System Administrator & Engineer: Training Guide and a Quick Deskside Reference, Exams EX200 & EX300: Asghar Ghori: 9781467549400: Amazon.com: Books

RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide (Exams EX200 & EX300), 6th Edition (Certification Press): Michael Jang: 9780071765657: Amazon.com: Books

RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Practice Exams with Virtual Machines (Exams EX200 & EX300) (Book & DVD): Michael Jang: 9780071801607: Amazon.com: Books

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    No need to buy 3 books, just buy Jangs and use the RH deployment guide:
    https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html

The labs in Jang's books are enough to get a good understanding and they best prep for the exam. It's a performance based exam, so be prepared to perform, otherwise no one says much as it usually violates the NDA. If the Jang book is a tad confusing, search the web for guides on how to read the first few chapters of his book.

There are some good study guides on the web (I've written one as well) that are worth looking into.

I've not seen any practice exams. There is the RH skills assessment which is minimal at best: Red Hat | Global training skills assessment

Build the lab defined in Jang's book (3 VMs) for labs and you should be good.

Good luck.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't say anything about the other books you've listed, but the Jang book is the one I used to study. There are two RHCSA practice exams and two RHCE exams included in the back. I found them to be useful to help weed out any areas where I needed to work a bit harder.

I'd also like to recommend the RHEL deployment guide. I'd not really looked at the official Red Hat documentation too much until recently but it is an excellent, and free, resource.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jang Book and this will get you started as there is some confusion with the initial chapters

Control Protocol: Primer on reading Michael Jang's Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide

:)

Lab Take Notes and practice practice until you become a ninja
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    as others said, Michael Jang's book is enough, the blog in my signature (mine) covers all objectives with videos for both RHCSA and RHCE if you want additional reference.
    HF!
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions, ill get the book and start studying.
  • versdversd Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also found a some materials in video on youtube, specifically for bash scripting, let it try.
  • mdsmds Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can i have the link to your blog? thanks in advance.
    log32 wrote: »
    as others said, Michael Jang's book is enough, the blog in my signature (mine) covers all objectives with videos for both RHCSA and RHCE if you want additional reference.
    HF!
  • rajesh.shisodiyarajesh.shisodiya Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Deployment Guide it was good but i failicon_sad.gif to find the Lab setup , can any one help me with that plz also RH skills assessment link dont seems to be working.
    onesaint wrote: »
    No need to buy 3 books, just buy Jangs and use the RH deployment guide:
    https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html

The labs in Jang's books are enough to get a good understanding and they best prep for the exam. It's a performance based exam, so be prepared to perform, otherwise no one says much as it usually violates the NDA. If the Jang book is a tad confusing, search the web for guides on how to read the first few chapters of his book.

There are some good study guides on the web (I've written one as well) that are worth looking into.

I've not seen any practice exams. There is the RH skills assessment which is minimal at best: Red Hat | Global training skills assessment

Build the lab defined in Jang's book (3 VMs) for labs and you should be good.

Good luck.