Simulating Hosts for Switch and TSHOOT labbing

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
What are some easy/quick/cheap ways to simulate hosts for Switch and TSHOOT labbing?

Comments

• d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GNS3 of-course!!
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I wish I could do the Switch labs in GNS3. I am using 4X3750s though. I know I can use a computer or even a router/switch as hosts, but I was wondering if anyone had any clever ways to do it easier than that?
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haven't tried this yet but you could probably set up a some virtual machines (GNS/vmware/etc) and have them all connected to a virtual switch that connects back to your physical switches with some vlans trunked. Then just cable out access ports from that switch to whichever switch you want the host off of. Could be worth a try.
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use the 3725 router image and install the switch modules, it works fine.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GNS3's switching emulation is sufficient for TSHOOT. In fact, I'd argue that tool's the fastest way to master/ace it.

If you have physical switches, that's great for the SWITCH exam. You can connect those switches to GNS3 for the router/host emulation if you like (or, as you say, use extra routers or switches for those purposes).
    Jackace wrote: »
    I wish I could do the Switch labs in GNS3. I am using 4X3750s though. I know I can use a computer or even a router/switch as hosts, but I was wondering if anyone had any clever ways to do it easier than that?

For Switch & TShoot GNS3 is enough.
    I've seen the course-ware, and there is nothing there which can't be implemented with GNS3 switch modules.
    But practicing with physical devices would be the best way to go.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If all you're needing to do is traceroutes and pings, there's a nice little app called VPCS that (emulates?) 9 hosts. Each one has 2 ports associated with it (20000-20008 & 30000-30008 by default). To link into GNS3, start the VPCS application, then drop in a host in gns3. Under node configuration, remove all NIO Ethernet devices, and give it the 2 ports for that host under the NIO UDP tab. You can manually assign addresses or use DHCP configured on the routers to assign them addresses. It's got a basic in-app help system (show or help or something), but for what it does you don't really need any more than that.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since you're using physical switches, you could also use some type of small physical hosts -- maybe Model B Raspberry Pi's?
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    d6bmg wrote: »
    For Switch & TShoot GNS3 is enough.
    I've seen the course-ware, and there is nothing there which can't be implemented with GNS3 switch modules.
    But practicing with physical devices would be the best way to go.

I will be honest I have not tried it yet, but the general consensus is that GNS switch module is not enough for SWITCH.
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Change a switch port into a routed port and assign an ip address.
    Create loopback interfaces.
    Use loopback plugs and turn off keepalives.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
    Jackace wrote: »
    I will be honest I have not tried it yet, but the general consensus is that GNS switch module is not enough for SWITCH.

Really? Then buying one or two switch is necessary. Deciding what to buy, (i.e. L2 or L3) will depend on the budget.
  • Bender RodriguezBender Rodriguez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The two best ways I know how to test my lab configurations without using PCs is by
    1)pinging a device's loopback interfaces or
    2)using the extended ping command - this lets you source your ping so you can verify end to end connectivity between two subnets
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Put VMWare Server on a workstation, put a few usb nics on it ($12-$18 on amazon), create an equal number of VMs, put each on its own vswitch with its own nic as the uplink, use bridged networking and each one will behave exactly like a physical machine.

There are other solutions involving vlans but it gets more complicated and has slightly less flexibility imo.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA