Spring 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

Comments

• MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    meadIT wrote: »
    The ICM course isn't a 1:1 mapping to the exam. The course will not include everything required to pass the VCP exam. The subjects that it does cover may not be deep enough for the exam. You will need to supplement your ICM course with additional lab time and documentation. I recommend downloading the VCP blueprint and using that, plus the linked documents to prepare for the exam.

Thanks for the info, last blueprint i have is 2.6
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was really hoping all the content would be posted so I could finish the class in a week and move on. On the bright side all of the labs are available so we can stay busy for a while.
    VMware IT Academy institutions aren't allowed to do that.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I lucked out not seeing this course earlier. If I only had a banana for every opportinity I missed!

The course sounds wonderful! Will be watching this thread over the coming weeks, and will enroll at the next opportunity. In Aug or Sept I suppose. icon_study.gif
  • pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It seems like to satisfy completion of a module, one is required to finish the lab and quiz. Correct? Do I have to watch the video or hit the play button? I get more info out of it by reading the slides in the module (in the book) than watching it on the website. The instructor is just reading what's on the slide.

Also, does it matter how long I must spend on the website? What if I can finish the lab and quiz in like 5 minutes?
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've completed all of the labs and watched all of the released lectures; and so far I am little disappointed that we haven't need to use the book yet. I really regret buying it. Oh well, such is life.
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    Haswell wrote: »
    I've completed all of the labs and watched all of the released lectures; and so far I am little disappointed that we haven't need to use the book yet. I really regret buying it. Oh well, such is life.

Have you taken the quizzes? I needed to reference the first text to answer some of the questions on vSphere features.
    Have you taken the quizzes? I needed to reference the first text to answer some of the questions on vSphere features.

I've only taken the first two quizzes. I didn't need to reference the book.
  • dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else having problems getting to the labs tonight?
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    daba wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems getting to the labs tonight?

They had planned maintenance.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    i think the labs are still down. I still can't get into them. Anyone know when it is supposed to be back up?
    The NETLAB+® system will be taken offline on the evening of Sunday, March 31 and will remain offline until the evening of Monday, April 1. A power transformer that supplies the building housing the equipment is being replaced. Please plan accordingly for this outage. We will have the equipment back online as soon as possible. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
  • xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did anyone find out if people outside of the US (Australia) can apply for this course?
  • lordmorgothlordmorgoth Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Xordis,
    I'm from the Netherlands and have enrolled in het summer class by emailing to Jana Kennedy (Eagle's One Stop Mentor) at onestop@stanley.edu. She sent me back the following e-mail:
    Yes but you will need to complete the attached registration form. Once I have received this information, I can register you for the class and email you your registration statement. I will also email you a credit card authorization form for you to complete. Please note however the completed credit card authorization form MUST BE FAXED back to our Business Office for you to retain your seat in the class.
    OMG ... the two may classes are already full. Guess it is time for monkey to camp out and register for a Fall class offering.
  • dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else in the class know when we finish or the last day is? I finished all the labs, tests and watched all the videos. Do we need to "do" anything else?

I also downloaded all the software from the vmware store.
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    daba wrote: »
    Anyone else in the class know when we finish or the last day is? I finished all the labs, tests and watched all the videos. Do we need to "do" anything else?

I also downloaded all the software from the vmware store.

Believe the last day is the 30th.

In the 2nd manual the last 2 sections are not listed on the website, think it's Patch Mgt and Installing Vsphere, are those modules not covered by the class?
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like some of you I'm finishing up my ICM class at Stanly and was wondering what your experiences were with it?
    Personally I think I may review a few of the sections towards the end before I take my VCP exam but honestly I've used ESX/ESXi since version 3.5 and deployed/maintained ESX 4 so alot of what I already knew carried over infact the I was able to breeze through the first few modules of this course because of that.
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    Is anyone able to get the vmware voucher today? Apparently Dustin sent the email yesterday but the system already locked us out today (last day of class). The error was "This course is currently unavailable to students".

Is anyone able to get the vmware voucher today? Apparently Dustin sent the email yesterday but the system already locked us out today (last day of class). The error was "This course is currently unavailable to students".

I noticed the same thing and just sent him an email. I recommend you do the same. How do you think you did?
    I received the voucher discount code via e-mail a few days ago. What I am not clear on is how VMware knows that I have taken the class.
    DPG wrote: »
    I received the voucher discount code via e-mail a few days ago. What I am not clear on is how VMware knows that I have taken the class.

I asked my instructor via email this morning but haven't heard back yet.
    I was able to verify that the course shows up under my VMware account:

VMware Certification
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »

Same here. The class also shows up in my VMware transcript(along with a participation certificate).
    I was notified a moment ago that the May class has opened 3 additional sections. Way to go Stanley CC!!
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Same. The sense of urgency was ridiculous. I know this class is hot, but two days to sign up? No matter. I pounced on it anyway. I'm just glad I got in while it's still cheap. Eventually they'll start charging retail price! icon_study.gif

Thanks to whoever here first mentioned it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also signed up for the May session. Best deal ever!
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm signed up for the May section as of this morning.
    Don't waste your money on the book. You can easily finish the class without it. I really regret buying it.
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I assume if you don't buy it does not affect the requirements for course completion?