CCENT/CCNE vs. NET+?

z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do the two compare and which one is more likely to have more practical value?

Someone in another older thread recommended the CCENT over Net+ in that you'll learn the same network theory with the Cisco certs, but actually be able to apply that knowledge to hardware that employers may likely have. In other words, it's more marketable.

What say thee?

Comments

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are threads about this topic already.

But some recommend just getting the CCNA, since there is more value in that certification. Also, as you stated, not only are you learning theory, you're also applying it through Cisco hardware and CLI.

However, there are jobs (mostly DoD) where there is a requirement to have DoD 8570 approved IA certifications like Net+, A+, Sec+, etc.

Personally, I did Net+, Sec+ then CCNA (just happened to be the training offered by the military at the time). Today, I'm not so sure I'd waste my time with CompTIA with their 3-year policy and annual fees. I got the CE Net+, Sec+ and CASP in 2011 and have done 0 to maintain them.
  • z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are threads about this topic already.

But some recommend just getting the CCNA, since there is more value in that certification. Also, as you stated, not only are you learning theory, you're also applying it through Cisco hardware and CLI.

However, there are jobs (mostly DoD) where there is a requirement to have DoD 8570 approved IA certifications like Net+, A+, Sec+, etc.

Personally, I did Net+, Sec+ then CCNA (just happened to be the training offered by the military at the time). Today, I'm not so sure I'd waste my time with CompTIA with their 3-year policy and annual fees. I got the CE Net+, Sec+ and CASP in 2011 and have done 0 to maintain them.

Ah good point with the 8570. I live in an area with a large DoD presence. It would probably be worth it to get those certs so I'm not excluded from jobs that require them. The re-up thing with Comptia sounds like a pain though.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    z3r0cool wrote: »
    Ah good point with the 8570. I live in an area with a large DoD presence. It would probably be worth it to get those certs so I'm not excluded from jobs that require them. The re-up thing with Comptia sounds like a pain though.
    It's not rocket science. Pretty straight forward. I, personally, don't want to spend my money on them (except for possibly the CASP) since I already have an A+, Sec+, Net+ from before the CE started.

The certifications I'd like to obtain now are so far above Net+ and Sec+ that, I'd prefer to invest the money in them versus those (PMP, CISM, CISA, ITIL Expert, CCIE, MCSA 2012, VCP5.X, Juniper).
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Is not the exact network theory
    Lots of threads about this already

If you go to the exams objectives of CCENT and Network+ you will see similarities and diferences (this available through google).
    What I always say is, do you have pc experience? Do you know how to set up printers through networks? Hardware understanding? What are lan cards, what is a byte, impact printer vs lazer, what is a firewall and common things about it (like zones or stateful vs stateless), what is a virus, a smurf packet.
    If you know all or most of that then skip it and go to CCENT
    If not, I recommend you get network+ first as it will give you a well rounded base of knowledge.
    meh