Alright, so it's CCNP

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was in between certifications. Based on what I read here in the last 2 weeks and some people I spoke with, I'd be better off concentrating on the CCNP for now (than CCNA Voice).

I started reading the CCNP-R material, just wanted to make sure my lab is ready. It currently contains two 2600 routers and 1 1800, is this enough, or should I add 1-2 more routers?

Also most of the labs show more than 1 connection to a single router, so more WIC cards?

I figured I'd start with that.

Any input welcomed. My lab was in limbo for 5 months, it's time to get into the groove again! icon_study.gif
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can possibly make due with what you got, but I would recommend GNS3 for ROUTE. Its all i needed to pass the Route exam. I have Six 2600's but ended up using GNS3 100% of the time because it was very convenient and my network scaled with a click of a button. It's also free!, so you can save your coins for your SWITCH hardware assuming you have not been down that road yet.
  • dmcneil330dmcneil330 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think GNS3 is the best solution for ROUTE. Mostly because you won't have to fool around with console cables and power cables and rollover cables and the like. It's a burden to have to do that with real equipment. You can build a lab and tear it down in seconds in GNS3. Whereas with real gear you have to boot all the devices, console to them, and wipe configs. That is unless you have a console server, but those are pretty pricey ($150-$300)
    CCNP: SWITCH[X] ROUTE[] TSHOOT[]
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It kind of depends on what IOS versions you are running too. You will need at least 12.4T to support IPv6 concepts. older 12.4 version should take care of the other core concepts like eigrp, ospf, and bgp.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    would packet tracer work for ccnp?
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would highly suggest not trying to use packet tracer. It will be extremely limited with NP level topics. As stated above it barely can handle NA level topics. GNS3 and Physical Equipment or bust!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your route exam! Got mine scheduled for 31st May.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    would packet tracer work for ccnp?

Yes, but it won't be any help in preparing for Route exam.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used only GNS3 for my CCNP Route exam and i never felt like I was missing anything. The only time I needed hardware was for the switch exam. GNS3vault and gns3labs are great resources for labs. You can also create your own or use the ones that they provide in some of the books.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    GNS3 all the way! If I'm not mistaken you can link it with your real routers and create a monster network :D Good luck on the NP and like the others said, I'd leave packet tracer out of it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I am running IOS 12.2, I'd have to check.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)