Spring 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

13»

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I didn't get notified, I guess I'll have to wait until August. When I go to their website, I only see two classes for May.

I had previously e-mailed the instructor, but I'm guessing the waiting list is really long at this point, considering their popularity.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya when they notified me they made asked me register by email/fax and the online registration was not offered as an option. They apparently opened three new sections.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Haswell wrote: »
    Don't waste your money on the book. You can easily finish the class without it. I really regret buying it.

Really that's good to know...I was waiting on the official word for the class. Anyone have any other good books that they recommend for the class. Heard that this book was a good one to use.
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5: Scott Lowe: 9780470890806: Amazon.com: Books
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Bloogen wrote: »
    Ya when they notified me they made asked me register by email/fax and the online registration was not offered as an option. They apparently opened three new sections.

When did they notify you?

I e-mailed nhunnycutt yesterday to be put on the waiting list. I have fairly low hopes though
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    I got an email on April 30th. It just so happened I had followed up by email the day before.
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    The manual is the worst one I think I've ever read, countless typos, it's like they went to press with the rough draft. For 60 bucks you'd think they could at least proofread it. In the last module on installing ESXi it goes over the hardware prerequisites, the slide section says you can have up to 160 logical cores, the paragraph below says up to 128. So which one is right, or maybe it's neither.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What's New in vSphere 5.0

"Support for larger systems. vSphere 5.0 supports systems with up to 160 logical CPUs and up to 2TB of RAM. "
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's everyone ETA of taking the exam? I am looking to take the exam either in July or August.
    I'm aiming to pass the exam by the end of July.
  • FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't waste your money on the book. You can easily finish the class without it. I really regret buying it.
    What about the lab? How can you do all the lab without books?
    FireFire wrote: »
    What about the lab? How can you do all the lab without books?

You just follow the tasks on the lab sheet. It's really straight forward, if you ever need to look something up then you could just use google.
  • FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great!Thank you for your feed back.
    Has anyone passed the exam yet?

I am looking to take mine in August or September.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I am signed up for the next course. I have my books. Speaking of the labs. Is there a lecture associated with the lab and if so, can you view the lecture and finish the labs at your own pace.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    You had a requirement to log-in by a certain date, but once you had done so, everything was at your own pace.

There are video lectures, links to the same material in your books, and labs. I downloaded all lab PDF's, to use as I prepare for the certification exam.

The labs and study material will be doled out gradually -- about 3 or 4 sections, for a total of about 20 sections. The labs are cumulative, so once you are finished with one, the lab environment is set up for the succeeding lab.

Enjoy your class.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    @ITMonkey, thanks for your reply. I hope I have signed up for the correct class. I signed up because of all of the traffic here. I recently took a job that in going in the VMWare direction. I have really no experience with VMWare at all, so trying to come up to speed.
    I just passed the VCP exam! It's been a long 6 months. I wanted to pass it on the first try and be done with it.

Now time for some MUCH need rest before tackling VCAP5-DCA!
    I just passed the VCP exam! It's been a long 6 months. I wanted to pass it on the first try and be done with it.

Now time for some MUCH need rest before tackling VCAP5-DCA!

What materials did you use outside of the labs required and powerpoints?
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    gratttzzz

that vcp5 test was a humdinger i tell ya what jack (lol)
    What materials did you use outside of the labs required and powerpoints?

I used the OMG VCP5 Study Guide

Wow NICE!

So you didn't use any books to study?
    Wow NICE!

So you didn't use any books to study?

That's correct; I just used this free study guide and it's more than enough to pass.