Noob Intro with questions

ChantelChantel Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been checking this site out for about a month. It took me awhile to join an post because I was so focused on studying for my network + exam, which I passed yesterday. My score wasn't as high as I hoped, so I keep telling myself that passing is great. I also took awhile because for some oddball reason McAfee site adviser doesn't like this site, or at least some parts of it.

I would like more info on the performance based questions. I read some of your passing stories, and these have me concerned. There were only four on my Network + exam and I had a heck of a time with two of them. Could someone provide links to where I can learn more about these?

I am reading Derril's book, and I plan to take many practice tests. The ones in the book and maybe Transcender and/or Measureup. I used Measureup for my network +. So far after reading chapter 1, I am liking Derril's book. Important things seem to be repeated. While this can be irritating (for things I already know well), it can really help pound the information into my brain to help me pass.

Do you guys have a tips thread? That might help me as well.

I am not in the IT field right now. So I wonder how pointless all this is. My hope is to break into the filed. It seems I am stuck in the typical catch 22. I can't get a job because I don't have experience, but I can't get experience because I don't have the job. I do plan on doing an information assurance master's degree program at a college listed on the NSA website for academic excellence. Some of the schools I looked like it when students have Network + and Security + certifications. My bachelor's degree wasn't in the IT field (but I have taken quite a few computer courses). Do people use certifications as a way to get into the field? I might want to work while doing my master's degree, but I want to work in a similar field to assist me with my coursework.

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes. Certifications such as the comptia certs are widely used as a way to break into the field. I did with just the A+ and N+ and no college.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums Chantel, and congrats on the Network+ pass. The A+/Network+/Security+ trio helps build a solid foundation of IT knowledge and many people are able to get interviews for entry level jobs with these certifications. You need to demonstrate you have some knowledge during the interview but as long as you're learning the material, this shouldn't be a problem. Also, having a degree in any field is valuable when pursuing a job as it shows you have the ability to follow something through to completion.
    Chantel wrote: »
    I would like more info on the performance based questions... Could someone provide links to where I can learn more about these?
    I've written many blogs on these. I think someone has posted links to them in one of these threads but I might be mistaken. Feel free to contact me directly and I'll give you some links.

Good luck on the Security+.
  • ChantelChantel Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have now read three chapters of the book. I am wondering if the content will continue to seems easier than that of the Network + content. Is it easy in part because I just recently studied for the other exam? Maybe the content overlaps enough and the memory is fresh enough. I hope the A + content will be as easy for me. I already have a good base of knowledge for that exam. I fix my own computers, install replacement parts, or do my own upgrades.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @Chantel, there is a lot of overlap with the Network+ so that's part of it. It could also be that with your current knowledge and experience level, all you need to do is fill in some holes. Everyone doesn't find the content related to the Security+ objectives easy to grasp.

On the A+ exams, you will find that a lot of the content you learned for the Network+ and Security+ exams is covered in them too but at a more basic level.
  • jaharris72jaharris72 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Chantel if you are worried about getting network security experience there is an author that has a book out about setting up your own security lab. A friend referred it to me and it is pretty good. Do a search on Amazon for Michael Gregg. I hope this helps.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    professor messer's youtube channel
    there got A+, N+ & S+ training video series, enjoy icon_thumright.gif

if u really can't find a job , start as OJT Trainee BCOZ work exp is more important than Academics

WGU's Master programs are nice too...
    Yes. Certifications such as the comptia certs are widely used as a way to break into the field. I did with just the A+ and N+ and no college.

How long ago did you do it?
    jaharris72 wrote: »
    Hi Chantel if you are worried about getting network security experience there is an author that has a book out about setting up your own security lab. A friend referred it to me and it is pretty good. Do a search on Amazon for Michael Gregg. I hope this helps.

I wonder if it costs a lot. Funds are not on my side at the moment. If I were already working in the field, it may be different. But I bet this would benefit me greatly. It could get the experience without having a job?
    professor messer's youtube channel
    there got A+, N+ & S+ training video series, enjoy icon_thumright.gif

if u really can't find a job , start as OJT Trainee BCOZ work exp is more important than Academics

WGU's Master programs are nice too...

I don't know how to get a job with OJT unless temp jobs work, but those are even hard to get. Most jobs in my area highly stress a degree AND experience.

I looked at WGU and what I got from it was that it preps for certs, but I can't recall which ones. While that is great, I don't know how much a degree from them will be valued in my area. There was a thread here I skimmed about it, but it was so long that I couldn't really figure out if I liked WGU. In the end I chose a college that costs $485 a credit hour and is listed on the NSA site for academic excellence. If I definitely decide this is the school, classes start in June, which will be a tough time of year to start for me.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How long ago did you do it?

Almost 3 Years ago.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • jaharris72jaharris72 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wonder if it costs a lot. Funds are not on my side at the moment. If I were already working in the field, it may be different. But I bet this would benefit me greatly. It could get the experience without having a job?
    You could do virtualization and get some operating systems with 90 day trials. It is a start and shows employers that you trying to learn.