Options

MS Certification advice

OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I have been doing high level desktop support/operations (jack of all trades) in a financial trading firm for a couple of years now. My next goal is windows server administration. The first year at this job was awesome getting experience in windows windows server 2003, BES, Backup Exec, Barracuda spam filter etc....until company sold and my access was taken away...out source to third party company.

Which windows exam do you recommend? We have a windows 7 environment and I was thinking maybe MCSA windows 7 certification would be a good start and then move to MCITP.

thanks in advance .

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The MCITP stuff is being retired this year and the beginning of next year. MCITP is being replaced with the new MCSA and MCSE certifications.

Get your MCSA: Windows 7/8 and your MCSA: Server 2008/2012. Then move onto the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure and MCSE: Server Infrastructure. That will keep you busy for a LONG time. From that point, you can move onto MCSE: Private Cloud or VMWare.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    srabiee has it right. Start with the Desktop OS test of your choice (I would say 7 since 8 is so new) and then go into 2008. Depending on your studying speed that would likely finish out your year.

Without any access to servers getting the MCSE level certs will be hard. You can lab it out and pass the tests but hopefully in a year you will have more access to really dig in.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To the OP I like your plan. You say you do high level desktop support and operations, well the MCSA Windows 7 is perfect for that. Those two are pretty tough test so I wouldn't plan to far out ahead. In fact if you received the MCSA Windows 7 you would probably be set for years and then your experience would take over.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    To the OP I like your plan. You say you do high level desktop support and operations, well the MCSA Windows 7 is perfect for that. Those two are pretty tough test so I wouldn't plan to far out ahead. In fact if you received the MCSA Windows 7 you would probably be set for years and then your experience would take over.
    Is the MCSA really regarded that much?
    I am about to take the 70-685 in a few days and I didn't think much of it.
    Sure the tests are difficult, but I wasn't aware that it was such a reputable certification.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anytime you are entering into a company that uses Windows 7 as their core OS or about to roll out to that OS any certification with Windows 7 in it helps out tremendously. Especially when getting through the HR filtering process. As a former hiring manager I can tell you that two certifications I looked for in our desktop admin roles and desk side techs roles was A+ or anything with Windows 7. This included screening for our packaging team. In short yes it does mean a lot if you sell it right/capture it right.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So is the title of MCITP just being removed? I was a little confused when reading some threads. You will be MSCA now instead if I read it correct?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would suggest the following: 70-680 (MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration) --> 70-685 (MCSA: Windows 7) --> 70-689 (MCSA: Windows 8 --> 70-417 (MCSA: Server 2012)

Because you have experience with both Desktop and Server, I think this could be a good path for you. The 70-680 & 685 will give you the MCSA Enterprise Desktop Support Administrator certification. From there, the 70-689 will upgrade the cert to the MCSA Windows 8. If you do get the MCSA 7 EDSA you can upgrade it to the 2012 MCSA Server with the 70-417 exam. It is about as clear as mud, but I think that is correct. It all comes down to how much you want to learn and what you want to cover.
  • Options
    BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    I would suggest the following: 70-680 (MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration) --> 70-685 (MCSA: Windows 7) --> 70-689 (MCSA: Windows 8 --> 70-417 (MCSA: Server 2012)

Because you have experience with both Desktop and Server, I think this could be a good path for you. The 70-680 & 685 will give you the MCSA Enterprise Desktop Support Administrator certification. From there, the 70-689 will upgrade the cert to the MCSA Windows 8. If you do get the MCSA 7 EDSA you can upgrade it to the 2012 MCSA Server with the 70-417 exam. It is about as clear as mud, but I think that is correct. It all comes down to how much you want to learn and what you want to cover.

Sorry to point this out, but the exams / certifications you've listed here can't be upgraded to the 2012 MCSA via the 70-417. Instead of the 70-685, you would need to do the 70-686.

MCSA: Windows Server | Microsoft Learning
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct. I just made the leap assuming that the MCSA would also be on the list as one of the MCITPs were listed. After looking over a few of the web pages on the certification site, it appears that in this specific situation, Microsoft does not consider the 685 = 686 like they do when earning the MCSA Windows 7. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    srabiee wrote: »
    The MCITP stuff is being retired this year and the beginning of next year. MCITP is being replaced with the new MCSA and MCSE certifications.

Didn't they get rid of the MCSE a couple years ago? And now they're bringing it back?
  • Options
    Old MCSA = Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
    New MCSA = Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate

Old MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    New MCSE = Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

The same but different. From the MS Certification Site:

Q.What is the difference between the new Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certifications and the previous Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator certifications?

A. The new Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) credential focuses on the ability to design and build technology solutions. The previous Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator certifications focused on a specific job role.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Budzy wrote: »
    Sorry to point this out, but the exams / certifications you've listed here can't be upgraded to the 2012 MCSA via the 70-417. Instead of the 70-685, you would need to do the 70-686.

MCSA: Windows Server | Microsoft Learning
    Yes he was incorrect about upgrading to the MCSA Server 2012.
    But he was correct when talking about upgrading the MCSA Windows 7 to the MCSA Windows 8 by taking the 70-689.