Thoughts on EC Council Press books?

TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I am preparing to take my C|EH exam shortly. It is on a long list of certs to get. icon_lol.gif So here is my question...

I took a C|EH prep class as part of my major at UMUC. For the course materials, we used the iLabs from EC Council as well as 3/5 of the EC Council Press books.
The books I used were :
1/5 : Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures : Attack Phases
3/5 : Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures : Web Applications and Data Servers
4/5 : Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures : Linux, Macintosh and Mobile Systems

Has anyone else used these before and also taken the test? I would like to hear some feedback on them and the iLabs. I also have an e-version of the AIO and access to the CBT Nuggets.

The plan is to get my CNDA after I get the C|EH. Cengage offers vouchers, but they are only for v7, so I am not sure how much of this material is on v7 vs v8

Thoughts?
Completed: B.S. & M.S. in Cybersecurity, and MBA @ UMUC

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • certerocertero Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I enrolled in Ec Councils online self paced program about a month ago. A couple of weeks later I noticed V8 was being released. I emailed asking them if I would be provided with the updated V8 course ware since the course ware I bought for V7 was supposed to be good for a year. They said they would notify me once the new course ware is released and would direct me to places (within the course outline) that have been updated , changed etc. From everything I have read there doesn't seem to be any real changes in the content of the exam..so far anyway just delivery etc. I have heard they have added a few things like IPv6, mobile hacking. It is a little frustrating because they have the new version of the exam but no study material for it yet. V7 retires Oct 31st I believe. Since Im not going to be sitting for the exam for a little while I guess Ill just wait and see what evolves.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Most certification vendors release new versions of their exams ahead of revised study materials. This is why the previous version is still available for a few months.
  • TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    certero - this is basically what I took. The self study stuff, but as part of my online class.

Does anyone have thoughts on the InfoSec Institute stuff? My co-worker hooked me up with some practice questions that he used, but they are v6.
    Completed: B.S. & M.S. in Cybersecurity, and MBA @ UMUC
  • Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    certero wrote: »
    I enrolled in Ec Councils online self paced program about a month ago. A couple of weeks later I noticed V8 was being released. I emailed asking them if I would be provided with the updated V8 course ware since the course ware I bought for V7 was supposed to be good for a year. They said they would notify me once the new course ware is released and would direct me to places (within the course outline) that have been updated , changed etc. From everything I have read there doesn't seem to be any real changes in the content of the exam..so far anyway just delivery etc. I have heard they have added a few things like IPv6, mobile hacking. It is a little frustrating because they have the new version of the exam but no study material for it yet. V7 retires Oct 31st I believe. Since Im not going to be sitting for the exam for a little while I guess Ill just wait and see what evolves.

Just continue studying the V7 courseware and for the new topics like IPv6, mobile hacking and web2.0, you can always grab other books to supplement your readings. This was what I did before I took the CEHv8 exam last June 8. Alternatively, you can just wait if you are not in a hurry.