Options

Networkers vs. DBAs .... Which Path has a Placement Success Rate ??? V

La femme TechqitaLa femme Techqita Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Day All,

Im at a fork in the road as far as what path I wanna take in my IT career. I see cisco CCENT , CCNA and beyond are very very popular. And they get results as far as job placement . But what if networking is not your thing. Im a database dork and the path to dba is less traveled and not as successful and not as easy to get into as networking. My deal is should I follow whats popping and easy to step into or should I push forward and follow my data driven heart ????? 2nd thing can a ccna transition in to the data side later. (Will those two paths ever cross ) ????

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see going into networking as a viable way to become a database administrator. After all, folks in networking work on routers and switches. Big databases go on servers. I suspect being a server guy or developer will get you more opportunities. I'm all for following your passions. It makes it easier to put in the time it takes to become brilliant at something.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    As others will recommend, go down the path that you're most interested in because the technology/IT field is going to constantly push you to learn new technology, and master your choice of focus in order to truly succeed and continuously advance.

If your passion is databases, you will want to have a good understanding of basic networking so a CCENT or even Network+ would help you understand how data flows throughout the network/how it reaches your databases. You also want to have a really strong server understanding since that will be what your databases will reside on. Will also be invaluable with troubleshooting when issues arise that aren't actually within the database so to say. If you are going MS SQL Server than you'll want to know Windows Server, if you will be doing Oracle than you'll want to know Solaris, and then there are various flavors that reside on *NIX boxes so you'll want to know them. Knowing all of them well will create an endless amount of opportunities at your disposal but starting out try and focus primarily on 1 of the 3 to get you that DBA position and then expand from there.

DBA's IMO are similar to Info Sec positions (a company generally isn't going to let someone with 0 experience come in and mnage their databases) although there are more entry level roles for DBA's than Info Sec, you'll likely start out in a System Administration position that will include managing a server that have databases on them. GL with which ever path you take and remember to do the one you are passionate about instead of just salary figures.
  • Options
    La femme TechqitaLa femme Techqita Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    effekted wrote: »
    As others will recommend, go down the path that you're most interested in because the technology/IT field is going to constantly push you to learn new technology, and master your choice of focus in order to truly succeed and continuously advance.

If your passion is databases, you will want to have a good understanding of basic networking so a CCENT or even Network+ would help you understand how data flows throughout the network/how it reaches your databases. You also want to have a really strong server understanding since that will be what your databases will reside on. Will also be invaluable with troubleshooting when issues arise that aren't actually within the database so to say. If you are going MS SQL Server than you'll want to know Windows Server, if you will be doing Oracle than you'll want to know Solaris, and then there are various flavors that reside on *NIX boxes so you'll want to know them. Knowing all of them well will create an endless amount of opportunities at your disposal but starting out try and focus primarily on 1 of the 3 to get you that DBA position and then expand from there.

DBA's IMO are similar to Info Sec positions (a company generally isn't going to let someone with 0 experience come in and mnage their databases) although there are more entry level roles for DBA's than Info Sec, you'll likely start out in a System Administration position that will include managing a server that have databases on them. GL with which ever path you take and remember to do the one you are passionate about instead of just salary figures.

OMG Thank you Sooooo much Ive just had that light bulb going off momment ........ You just connected the dots for me !!!!

Passion over Pleasure !!!!!