EoMPLS

Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

First off this is a great forum! Glad I found this. Anyways I was reading through Wendell Odom book for ICND1 100-101 and it talks about EoMPLS and I am confused lol. It doesn't seem to be something that I really have to worry about for the test but can someone in layman's terms give me a brief overview. Thanks

Comments

• KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I am understanding him correctly it's also a service known as MetroEthernet. This class of service is used when businesses are located in physically different geographical locations and want to have a network appear in common with one another.

Currently most networks if you wanted to connect to site B you would open a VPN and create a tunnel to that network and have shared resources. With a MetroEthernet class of service a customer orders up a 10Mbps-1Gbps circuit to site A and site B. What the service provider does is provide a transparent link between both sites so that it would appear as if they are on a local LAN. We see this a lot with School Districts, the smaller schools will order up 10-100Mbps circuits with independent vlan tags for each site which would all communicate to the Administrative office. There the office would have a 100Mbps - 1Gbps circuit that all the other schools would route through and gain access to the Internet from there.

Kinda a bad example but I am just learning this new class of service myself.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    As far as I know, EoMPLS is used to extend your VLANs over an MPLS Tunnel. Doesn't have to a service provider network, though. I configured these on wireless transceivers because we needed multiple VLANs on the other side of the link.
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Went back over it in the book as well as reading your posts and I think I am starting to get it. I think I am just getting to wrapped up in the abbreviation.

Summed up in the book "A point-to-point connection between two customer devices"
  • shabeermshabeerm Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jamm1n wrote: »
    Hi guys,

First off this is a great forum! Glad I found this. Anyways I was reading through Wendell Odom book for ICND1 100-101 and it talks about EoMPLS and I am confused lol. It doesn't seem to be something that I really have to worry about for the test but can someone in layman's terms give me a brief overview. Thanks

EoMPLS is tunneling mechanism that transports Layer 2 Ethernet frames over an MPLS network. You can connect two Layer 2 networks that are in different locations, without requiring bridges, routers, or switches at the locations. You enable the MPLS backbone to accept Layer 2 traffic by configuring the label-edge routers (LERs) at both ends of the MPLS backbone.

Hope this helps
    For CCNA / CCNP notes visit my blog http://sysnetnotes.blogspot.in/
  • KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jamm1n wrote: »
    Went back over it in the book as well as reading your posts and I think I am starting to get it. I think I am just getting to wrapped up in the abbreviation.

Summed up in the book "A point-to-point connection between two customer devices"

I'm actually about right where you are in their book. Just hit chapter 4 tonight, picked the book up today. You can easily get wrapped up in the advanced provisioning side of the EoMPLS network concept or just take it for the simplicity of what they want you to know for the CCENT objectives. The book was making a point on WAN connections that you have the option of using CSU/DSU (T1), EoMPLS (MetroEthernet), xDSL and Cable Modems.

The big thing they were trying to point out in the book is that the CO (Central Office) houses a diverse MPLS network and is able offer a transparent WAN connection that would offer a Point to Point connection between one or multiple locations on a network.

To give you a better idea on what happens on the provider end we would install a modem on the customers location. This modem would go back to our central office and connect to the core router. Now lets say your office is over 500 miles away we can take that traffic and push it over a SONET network back to an IP network and then come from the CO to your other office with a modem that you plug your other router into. What you would see is your network on the other side transparently. There would be no PPP tunnels or other configuration it would be the same concept as having a 500 mile long Ethernet cable plugged into your other router.
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, got it !
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kalabin wrote: »
    There would be no PPP tunnels or other configuration it would be the same concept as having a 500 mile long Ethernet cable plugged into your other router.

This is the reason many of the MPLS encapsulation services like EoMPLS are referred to as psuedowires ( or xconnects )
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...