CCIE R&S progress

Comments

• aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    I'm curious, other than CPU performance improvement that IOU offers, is there any other advantage over GNS3? I use GNS3 on a relatively powerful Ubuntu PC almost exclusively. I've never seen IOU in action.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IOU can do a LOT more on Layer 2 with spanning tree, LACP, Private VLANs, etc...I used it for SWITCH during the NP
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I talked about and show screenshots of VIRL in the CLUS thread in off topic.

Honestly, in 2 years with some product maturity (ie updates), it'll be the default program/platform. However like GNS3, CATOS/IOS Switching is limited. But it accomplishes what the current GNS3+Virtual Box combination through one application since VIRL is just a virtual appliance.

You can run NX-OS, IOS-XR, a virtual machine, CSR-1000 and VIOS. Makes a pretty good platform for Data Center and SP pursuits.

It wasn't the smoothest experience.

Also word around town is the beta for V5 is coming down the pipeline.
    vinbuck wrote: »
    IOU can do a LOT more on Layer 2 with spanning tree, LACP, Private VLANs, etc...I used it for SWITCH during the NP
    Ah! Good to know. I am running a hybrid GNS3 setup at home and so far it has been pretty good. I do get the occasional hangs but over all it's been pretty good. Although I have never ran any IE topology setups yet so I don't know how well they will perform when I start doing full blown labs.
    My CCIE Thread
    I talked about and show screenshots of VIRL in the CLUS thread in off topic.

Honestly, in 2 years with some product maturity (ie updates), it'll be the default program/platform. However like GNS3, CATOS/IOS Switching is limited. But it accomplishes what the current GNS3+Virtual Box combination through one application since VIRL is just a virtual appliance.

You can run NX-OS, IOS-XR, a virtual machine, CSR-1000 and VIOS. Makes a pretty good platform for Data Center and SP pursuits.

It wasn't the smoothest experience.

Also word around town is the beta for V5 is coming down the pipeline.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how VIRL pans out. It'd be nice to be able to do what GNS3 gave us, and be able to run other OSs as well.
    My CCIE Thread
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    managed to do an entire hour this weekend, been split between bed and been sick so all in all pretty crappy!!

hoping to make up for it this week.

Managed to get the PC built Saturday morning, waiting for the switches to arrive then i am good to go!
    Sorry to hear that but hope you're feeling better....I had a long network cut that derailed most of my weekend studying plans icon_smile.gif
    Thanks vin, eurgh sucks when your schedule doesn't stick!

Had a half day at work today i was a zombie, couldn't stray too far from the Gents!

"Your CCIE lab success strategy" arrived, read that cover to cover, most of it is typically what 90% of you should know from reading other peoples blogs, the key points for me were:

1) What can you do in the next 15 minutes to get you closer to your number? E.G Flash Cards, Revise a command, anything! 15 minutes adds up. yet its a small enough amount that you can take it when it comes.

2) If you can, GET A BUDDY (i am also this type of person) If you have a buddy it pushes you as you do not want to be left behind, its a motivation in its self.

What i did not like

1) its difficult to get your CCIE If you have kids, I (guy from the book) would even miss out on birthdays, holiday's, and social events in order to stay on track, after all these can all be made up for once you have your number
    ^ that seemed a little wrong to be but each to their own, if you cant delay your revision by 4 hours or have 3 hours less sleep to see your son/daughter blow out there candles then...yeh..... AND I DONT EVEN HAVE KIDS!!!!! haha. There was a few references to this kind of thing, if there children were ill, they would leave it to the wife and go revise etc. Quite annoying.

Over all i'd recommend it for a "once" over to add some perspective.
  • 64:61:6e64:61:6e Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    silver145 wrote: »
    Thanks vin, eurgh sucks when your schedule doesn't stick!

Had a half day at work today i was a zombie, couldn't stray too far from the Gents!

"Your CCIE lab success strategy" arrived, read that cover to cover, most of it is typically what 90% of you should know from reading other peoples blogs, the key points for me were:

1) What can you do in the next 15 minutes to get you closer to your number? E.G Flash Cards, Revise a command, anything! 15 minutes adds up. yet its a small enough amount that you can take it when it comes.

2) If you can, GET A BUDDY (i am also this type of person) If you have a buddy it pushes you as you do not want to be left behind, its a motivation in its self.

What i did not like

1) its difficult to get your CCIE If you have kids, I (guy from the book) would even miss out on birthdays, holiday's, and social events in order to stay on track, after all these can all be made up for once you have your number
    ^ that seemed a little wrong to be but each to their own, if you cant delay your revision by 4 hours or have 3 hours less sleep to see your son/daughter blow out there candles then...yeh..... AND I DONT EVEN HAVE KIDS!!!!! haha. There was a few references to this kind of thing, if there children were ill, they would leave it to the wife and go revise etc. Quite annoying.

Over all i'd recommend it for a "once" over to add some perspective.

You got buddies on here watching you so we'll be your motivation. I'm trying to rack up my hours studying just to keep up with everyone else that recently started, including yourself. Keeping in touch with someone else or having a study partner worked for me in the past with my CCNP so should be helpful for this journey as well. It acts as a motivator and don't like the feeling of being left behind.

Yeah, I agree and felt the same while reading that book. I'd make time even if it required me to stay up longer in the evening or simply making that one of my "break days" of the week. Family comes first above ANYTHING else. Like you said though, to each their own.
    CCIE-DC Written - Q1 2015
    CCIE-DC Lab - Q3/Q4 2015

64:61:6e wrote: »
    You got buddies on here watching you so we'll be your motivation...
    +1 on this regard.

I hope you get better soon, silver. Rest up and regroup. Then get back into it with a vengeance ;)
    My CCIE Thread
    Still dieing here, but gladly getting better, saw a Dr today which was the first time in 6 years, heres some pills off you go, still feel dead on my feet but i can tell its working thankfully!!!...or it may just be the crack cocaine i had with my cereal. Either way!

going to try and get through some QOS videos now.
    Getting back on the horse 3 more hours of QOS down, really sticking with this untill i understand it as i had never really used it before except when studying for CCNP
    QoS is great once you start seeing it in action. It can have a dramatic impact on services that are sensitive to jitter like voice and video. I got my feet wet with it when I was a Service Provider engineer and now i'm knee deep in migrating a 15,000 user Enterprise network to a converged solution.
    nice, i am looking forward to the practicals, im trying hard to remain on theory currently icon_sad.gif

Another 5 hours on QOS.
    After spending quite abit of time on the QOS theory (as i have never really read into QOS much) I have read books, read the CCIE Route and switch exam guide, watched the videos (INE and CBT) and just going through the exam guide once more, its nice that i am able to read it and it all makes sense, meaning time not wasted! these little things just make you feel better that you spent all weekend while it was 27 Degrees outside been sad inside. haha :)
    3.5 hours more.
    3.5 hours into BEEGEEPEE
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Great going here man! Keep it up!
    Cheers Psycho, Another 3.5 on BGP.
    Sweet...I've been on BGP for two weeks. Its my favorite routing protocol. Nothing makes me happier than building an OSPF/BGP/MPLS network
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I too share a similar affinity for BGP.
    Another 2 hours, i can see that its "different" thats all i can say for it right now haha.
    4 more hours on BGP!
    You are motoring! Love it.

I need to catch you up and I've got 36 hours of shift work now in order to do so ;)
    get it done!

Another 6 hours BGP down. Starting to get a grasp on what i need to do more work on. Still alot of areas to read before reviewing everything first!
    4 more on BGP theory, moving onto MPLS now
    4 hours on MPLS today, i have never touched MPLS before so going fairly slow on this one. taking all the appropriate notes etc.

Have you guys set a date in mind for when you want your CCIE by? I originally said "i want it within 2 years" but at my current study rate, thats about 3000+ hours of lab time roughly, so hoping i make it sooner! I think i will take it when i feel ready, i'm not the type to slack off just because i dont have a date!
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Ideally I want my CCIE by 30 (well honestly I want two by then haha)

However with work the way it is currently I've got to wrap a few projects before I start cramming hard for the IE again.

Keep it up man, 4 hours a day adds up!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Written is scheduled for 6 weeks time. I was going to put it off, but I don't think I'm far off ready to go tackle it.

I'm going to go hit it out the park, then schedule a lab for May 2014. Maybe before my birthday :D (So I get to be a CCIE @ 30)
    nice 6 weeks, i was looking for around September time also! hoping to be on goal with around 250 hours revision reading. Still waiting for the last part of my GNS3 PC to come, just the 4xserial ports basically, i have everything else built and ready and waiting, just this one part!!!!!! very annoying icon_sad.gif